Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interface/Protect Microcontroller for Automotive Use...

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamey

I want to use a micro (PICAXE) in an automotive environment. My main concern is interfacing inputs (which can vary from 10-15V and may contain transients much higher - up to 50-60V).

I thought of using a resistor divider with a zener. Does this sound OK, or will the 50-60v transients be too much? BTW, not all inputs would have such large transients (only the inductive loads), so if it's too expensive then I could use different protection for different inputs.

I want to use a micro (PICAXE) in an automotive environment. My main concern is interfacing inputs (which can vary from 10-15V and may contain transients much higher - up to 50-60V).

I thought of using a resistor divider with a zener. Does this sound OK, or will the 50-60v transients be too much? BTW, not all inputs would have such large transients (only the inductive loads), so if it's too expensive then I could use different protection for different inputs.

Use opto-isolators on the inputs/outputs. Vishay / Small Signal & Opto Products (SSP) - ILQ2 - Optocouplers / Optoisolators - Optoelectronics & Lighting - Allied Electronics

Zeners with a series resistor are very robust, if you can use a large enough resistor. If you are just trying to sense voltage, then the resistor can be large. The resistor and zener will heat up during a transient, but for <1 second duration transients, that isn't a problem.

^ The transiets are very short from collapsing coils. Usually less than 1ms. It is for detecting on/off voltages of various circuits and swithces. So I guess zeners it si

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back