Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

interfacing microcontroller with UART(8250)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jam_mafia

hey hi all
i wanna do a project with a gsm modem connected to the serial port.thru which we can control home appliances from anywhere in the world, i initially wanted to use pc but coz its not portable want to swap pc with the following setup
a uart,microcontroller,eprom
i ask u guys how can i do it?
how can i interface uart with microcontroller?
how can i interface eprom with microcontroller?
can i get the circuits?if yes,plzzzzz post me the links
where can i get the required information??

Many micro-controllers already have internal UART's, or if not, it's VERY simple to create one in software, it's also easy to connect an I2C EEPROM to one. I suggest you check my PIC tutorials which shows how to do both!.

but wat abt this?

thanx nigel for that but wat abt
post me the links please

Re: but wat abt this?

jam_mafia said:
thanx nigel for that but wat abt
post me the links please

What do you want an EPROM for? - sorry, I presumed you meant EEPROM (which would make more sense).

thanku

thanx for that!!ur tutorial rocks.
i have a doudbt might be silly though,i saw a IR transreceiver board in ur tutorial can it be connected to serial port of pc?

i know

i know that my doubt is silly but answer this nigel
can we connect the ir transreceiver to serial port of pc???(that mentioned in the tutorials)

interfacing micro to PC

what microcontroller are you using?

PIC? AVR? 8051?
There are loads of tutorials and sample source on the internet.

I can help you if you tell me what micro you are using.

Re: i know

jam_mafia said:
i know that my doubt is silly but answer this nigel
can we connect the ir transreceiver to serial port of pc???(that mentioned in the tutorials)

You could if you wanted! - but you would need to change the code accordingly.

i am using 8051 john.hope to c ur reply.
nigel i am using a M27128A-2F1(M8803)---EPROM
so how wud i interface this with 8051 microncontroller
u also said that these days we r getting microcontrollers with UARTS in them cud u gimmie the model number of that?

Re: 8051

jam_mafia said:
i am using 8051 john.hope to c ur reply.
nigel i am using a M27128A-2F1(M8803)---EPROM
so how wud i interface this with 8051 microncontroller

That's an EPROM, not an EEPROM - it's designed to interface to a micro-processor NOT a micro-controller, a micro-controller already has it's program memory internally.

What were you hoping to use the EPROM for?.

u also said that these days we r getting microcontrollers with UARTS in them cud u gimmie the model number of that?

16F628, 16F877, 16F876 - to name just three common PIC's.

from the start

we basically wanted to control te home appliances thru a GSM modem whichn is actually connected to the serial port of the pc.so then we thought if a pc was used then it wud nt be portable so we wanted to shift to the so called microcontroller to actually interface it with the uart and eprom(wat wud u advice shud it be eprom or eeprom????),so we want to connect the whole setup to the gsm modem and operate from any where in the world,can it be done this way or is there any easy way out?????

Re: from the start

jam_mafia said:
we basically wanted to control te home appliances thru a GSM modem whichn is actually connected to the serial port of the pc.so then we thought if a pc was used then it wud nt be portable so we wanted to shift to the so called microcontroller to actually interface it with the uart and eprom(wat wud u advice shud it be eprom or eeprom????),so we want to connect the whole setup to the gsm modem and operate from any where in the world,can it be done this way or is there any easy way out?????

I see no reason for anything other than a single micro-controller?, EPROM's were used for program memory on micro-processors back in the 1970's, you would also need RAM chips and 'glue' logic chips to make a working computer.

A single micro-controller contains all that in a single, easy to use chip. Something like a PIC12F675 would do the entire project in one 8 pin chip, with hardly any support components required!.

thanx

thanx for that nigel but cud u please tell me more about PIC12F675 and the way in which we can actually make use of that????so how wud be the schematic?????wat else r needed???

Re: thanx

jam_mafia said:
thanx for that nigel but cud u please tell me more about PIC12F675 and the way in which we can actually make use of that????so how wud be the schematic?????wat else r needed???

It needs a 5V supply, and suitable level conversion from the phone (which depends on what the phone actually uses for it's serial connection) - it could be as simple as a piece of wire or a single resistor!.

Then you need something on the output to do what you wish?, it could be just lighting an LED, or switching a TRIAC or relay - anything you want really?.

ok

thats fine nigel but cud u gimmie a schematic please,as i am doin my final year project i wud be very much thankful if u cud take me out of this pit.a circuit wud serve fine.waitin for that

I AGREE TOO

yeah i agree with you nigel thta true its my final year project but i also wanna tell u that i am completely new to pic microcontrollers hope u wud atleast provide with the links which describe the architecture and programming of PIC12F675.
and also u specified in ur previous messages that for connecting that IR TRANCEIVER(that mentioned in the tutorial) to the serial port,u said i need to change the code.cud you describe how to do that please.
if we change the code accordingly can we send and receive information thru that??if yes wat wud be the baud rate???i need ur kind attention

The MicroChip website is at https://www.microchip.com, and you can download the datasheets for all the PIC's from there. However, there's no requirement to use a PIC, any micro-controller is easily capable of meeting your requirements. Are you familiar with any kind of micro-controller?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back