interfacing optical fiber with microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

i know one technology to interface optical fiber with the serial port of microcontroller.. using ULN's and SMA connector..

can anyone tell how it is done..

I thought an SMA connector was for coaxial cable. I have one on my 2M HT and I'm pretty sure it is not optical, unless they changed the speed of light and 2M is now visible.

SMA = Sub Miniature A

Looks like a mechanical spec for size and form. Web says it was original used in micro wave due to a relationship between the coax diameter and the frequency/wavelength.

Puts me in mind about the flack Bill of BlueroomElectronics got about DB9s. He was told not to call it a DB9 but an IDC. IDC stands for Insulation Displacement Connector, as in a DB9 that crimps onto a ribbon cable (displacing the insulation). The DB9 on the Inchworm is a through hole part and not an IDC.

can anyone tell how it is done.
Never did it myself. Should not be difficult. Mostly just another way to move data. Check DigiKey or Mouser for the TX and RX parts. Screw on the fiber.

Yeah not a great answer but it may be a starting point, someone is sure to tell me where I am wrong or expand on it.

Just one of those things I love to mention there is no such thing as DB9, unless you're talking about a 25 pin connector with only 9 pins attached. The common serial port connector is actually a DE9 connector.

I have actually seen a true DB9 connector, it was however on a DE9 adapter to a DB9 end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DE-9_connector

ok forget uln and SMA connector

now the thing to know is how to connect fiber optic cable with serial port of microcontroller.

well it requires some connector -- that is for sure..

that is called fiber optic connector..

goodwin sir..

i actually partially know how to connect this...

please see this block diag:

uart------> ULN 2803 -------> fiber optic connector::

------> fiber optic cable ---->

opamp 741 for amplification -------> ::fiber optic connector -----> uart

you can also use this in your projects..

regards

bye..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…