Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing to GLCD -are FGND and VEE the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmur

Im using a cheap GLCD with a KS0108 controller that I bought of ebay the only bit of information I could find on the GLCD is the image below.

The block diagram shows VEE but theres no VEE shown in the PIN assignment only FGND, would I be right in assuming that FGND and VEE are the same thing.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
VEE is the LCD drive voltage that is shown as Vlc on your diagram.

Edit, think I'm wrong. It looks like you need a seperate -8V supply to drive it.
Edit2, try powering it up and see if you find a negative voltage on any pins.

Mike.

Last edited:
This is a little bit confusing then -why is both VEE and VLC shown in the diagram if they are both the same?

edit: I try powering it up now...

Last edited:
Vlc jumps around a bit 1v - 5v and fgnd is at -50mv

edit: (vlc) slowly increases and then decreases but not necessarily all the way to 5V, really very hard to characterize..

Last edited:
hmm looks like the glcd fooled my DMM, I checked the voltages with my DSO and and found 5.5v at VLC and -3.6V at FGND

hi,
Look at this link.
KS0108 Controller

Thanks, I had a look at that page before but I wasn't sure if the VEE and FGND were the same thing at the time.

So should I follow the connection directions from that site (quoted below) or from the diagram in my first post

By connecting a 20k POT between Vee (Pin 18) and 5+v Vdd (Pin 2) with the pots wiper connected to Vo (Pin 3) one is able to adjust the LCD’s contrast.

Last edited:
It looks like your FGND is Vee.

I just plugged my GLCD into a dev board and I get -4V on Vee (pin 18). This -4V is connected to one end of a pot, the other end is ground and the wiper goes to Vlc. For connection details see **broken link removed**.

I might even rewrite my GLCD code now I have it connected.

Mike.

It looks like your FGND is Vee.

I just plugged my GLCD into a dev board and I get -4V on Vee (pin 18). This -4V is connected to one end of a pot, the other end is ground and the wiper goes to Vlc. For connection details see **broken link removed**.

I might even rewrite my GLCD code now I have it connected.

Mike.

Thanks, unfortunately I think I fried my GLCD last night, I foolishly connected the power and contrast adjust in reverse -somehow mistaking pin 1 for 20.. now there is 5v on pin18 and the only thing that works is the backlight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back