Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internal conflicts regarding my job

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroRF

Hi,

These days I'm graduating from university with a bachelor's degree in electric engineering.
I've been working as a validation engineer for two years, in student position.
Most of my job is spent on automatic and manual testing, setup of test stations, reports, and that kind of work which you don't feel like you've learned something important.
They are impressed by me and I'm to continue work there as a full-time validation engineer.

My ambition is to work in the HW (dor example design) or SW (low-level programming) field.
I have 2 years experience as a student in circuits design and low-level 8051 programming (C language).
That was my first job, but unfortunately I've quit that job for the validation position to earn more money (my first job was in a start-up company which didn't pay much).

I wonder how can a validation engineer still develop? learn new things?
Because my job does not include code / programming / circuits design.
I believe i'll soon (after graduation) prepare myself for interviews and go over all the frequent interview questions that engineers are asked when applying for a position.

I'd be happy to receive your comments :)

Last edited:
If you want more, do more. Find a new job, but you already knew that. :D

Yeah..
However, I wonder, is there a way to develop as a validation engineer?
Perhaps I just happened to be hired by the wrong company?

There's another team which is responsible for the automatic testing tools, and my team is in charge of using these tools for performing the tests..

Tell your manager you want to do design work.
Your company probably has job postings. Look for a job you like and let your manager know you would
Like to apply for the position. A good boss would not hold you back.

I second that one Mikebits. I was an engineering manage for many years. You always hate to loose a good employee, but better to loose him/her internally than to another company. And besides a happy employee is a better employee.

Doesn't low-level programming equate to a low paid job?

Seems a bit unambitious for someone with a degree.

But if it pays the bills and you enjoy it, then maybe it is OK.

.... just saying...

I like Mikebits's ideas too. Design sounds promising, and progressing within the same company is a safe bet. Move to another job once you have a proven track record and experience behind you.

Last edited:
Why would you say that?
Because in England, coders are generally not paid very well.

When I say low-paid, the money is not bad, but the graduates in my company tend to expect the higher wages that go with management grade jobs.

Maybe things are different in other countries, and maybe Nigel has a different experience?

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Thank you all for your comments!

By low-level programming I meant programming Micro-Controllers / DSPs which is usually done in a low-level language as C Language.

A Low-level programmer is highly paid in hitech and this is a very desired position.

Hi Hex,

Does your company employ Embedded programmers?
No, mostly high level language programmers, though more and more coding gets contracted out as time goes on.

If this carries on, then all that will be left is managers :(

Last edited:
No, mostly high level language programmers, though more and more coding gets contracted out as time goes on.

If this carries on, then all that will be left is managers :(

Oh sorry to hear that.

How long have have you been working there?

Are you afraid for your job?

You thought of starting looking for a new job?
going to job interviews in other companies?

What position do you fill?
You're a SW eng?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back