Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

interrupt-on-change, how to tell which pin caused int.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dremelts

Hi all,

I'm a complete NOOB. I have some programming experience but very little hardware experience.

I have a project that I'm working on and I decided that I would try to implement it with a PIC controller so I purchased the PICKit-1 and started learning.

I plan to use the 16F684 that came with the kit simply because it has enough I/O pins for what I need. I want to use PortA as inputs with interrupt-on-change enabled. Based on what I have learned from the data sheet I have been able to get into my ISR whenever there is a change on one of the input pins. What I haven't been able to discern from the data sheet is how to detect exactly which pin generated the interrupt. My plan is to simply save the port register each time I enter the ISR and compare it to the previously saved setting unless there is a potential problem doing it this way. Or, if there is a better way, I'm certainly open to any suggestions.

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. I am using PICbasic.

One method would be to use a state latch. Basically, after an IOC in your interrupt service routine you exclusive-or the current Port A value with the saved Port A value (the state latch). Resulting '1' bits in W indicate the changed pin or pins.

Code:
;
        movf    PORTA,W         ; read port A
        xorwf   LATCH,W         ; delta current reading & latched reading
        xorwf   LATCH,F         ; update state latch
;

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back