Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interrupt routine testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukmxer

Can anyone tell me if an interupt routine can be tested without having to blow a chip and have it in circuit.

I am new to this and have just about finished my first draft of my prog and was wondering whether I had to put an additional routine to simulate what would be seen on ra0 or rb0 when interrupt detecting.

ukmxer said:
Can anyone tell me if an interupt routine can be tested without having to blow a chip and have it in circuit.

I am new to this and have just about finished my first draft of my prog and was wondering whether I had to put an additional routine to simulate what would be seen on ra0 or rb0 when interrupt detecting.

If you're programming for the PIC it's possible to write a stimulus for your pins in MPLAB - you will find it in the "Debbuger" menu if you set MPLAB SIM as your debugger. However, for simple projects it's easier to just build a circuit and debug it "live". Also, some simple looking signals ( like mechanical pushbuttons and rotary encoders) are not easy to simulate accurately.

ukmxer said:

Just a thought - you most micro's are re-programmable - not sure if you new?

Personally I would simulate it with a some sort of interface to display the pics status/etc.. I'm a big fan of using UART - single wire comms that is quick and efficient, but for interrupt testing I simply make single pins high/low when conditions were met/performed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back