Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inverters

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin loach

please can someone tell me. i have put a normal playstation 2 in my car cause its got a built in hard drive. i used a power inverter 300w but i got a black line going up and down the screen. (i think its a humbar ). so i tryed a new inverter what was a 400w continuos power but still i have had the same problem. i plugged it it in to the mains with my screen still in the car and then it worked fine. when i had it installed before the shop fitted an inverter and it worked ok but then there one keept going wrong. i have looke d on the net every where and i have seen differernt inverters like a pure sine wave inverter. is it the inverter or maybe does it need earthing???? can some one pplllleeeaaassseeeee help

thank you colins

Most consumer grade inverters have a modified sine wave (MSW) output. Basically they are re-shaped square waves. Your videogame may be sensitive to MSW type output as is most life support/medical equipment. A true sine wave inverter costs much more but will not affect sensitive electronic devices. So it sounds to me that your problem lies with the type of AC signal that's being output from the inverter. I don't know what brand inverter the shop installed, but there are good quality MSW output inverters that perform more in line with true sine models in pale comparison to the bargain outlet store models. The high quality MSW inverter brands greatly lessen the chances of sensitive equipment experiencing problems.

Ground loops may also cause hum bars, especially in an automotive environment where devices are grounded at various locations throughout the chassis. This becomes a very critical issue when dealing with 2-way radio communications equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back