Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inveter circuit using PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

folarinv

I tried to build an inverter using PIC16F628A (circuit diagram and codes are attached) but the problems is that the highest voltage I recorded on the output was 110Vac instead of 220Vac. Could there be something I've not done rightly or a better way of making an inverter (12Vdc/220Vac).

best regards

Attachments

• inverter_circuit.doc
    30 KB · Views: 510
You need to change your transformer. The transformer you are using originally took 120V and dropped it to 12V. You need to find a transformer with a 220V primary a 12V secondary and that will fix your problem.

The other thing you could do is feed it 24V and you will get 220V out of your current setup.

thank you phalanx. The transformer I used was taken from a 12V/220V, 650VA UPS equipment. but I'll check again to confirm the voltages on the transformer

folarinv said:
thank you phalanx. The transformer I used was taken from a 12V/220V, 650VA UPS equipment. but I'll check again to confirm the voltages on the transformer

Is it a 50/60Hz transformer?, or is it a switch-mode one (which would seem more likely).

folarinv said:

According to your drawing, the transformer you are using only has a single primary and dual secondaries. If it originally stepped down 220V to 12V then according your your diagram you posted, each secondary would output 6V and when wired in series would make 12V.

Your inverter circuit is only using one secondary at a time so if you are getting half the voltage you are expecting, it is likely that each of the secondary windings is only good for 6V.

If this is what is happening with your inverter, you can solve your problem by switching from your forward converter push-pull setup to a full bridge converter. You will connect your low voltage windings in series and hook those ends to an H-bridge. Your controller can then send current through both windings at the same time (and in both directions) giving you twice the voltage output you had before with improved efficiency.

Of course you will have to design your software to ensure the proper operation of the bridge. Shoot through conditions are a good way to release the magic smoke inside the transistors.

Nigel Goodwin said:
folarinv said:

Is it a 50/60Hz transformer?, or is it a switch-mode one (which would seem more likely).

I cannot confirm immediately if the transformer is switch-mode type or not as I am away for work in a swamp. But I'll like to know if my circuit arrangement is correct and also if my code is apprioprate for 50Hz system.

Regards

folarinv said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
folarinv said:

I cannot confirm immediately if the transformer is switch-mode type or not as I am away for work in a swamp. But I'll like to know if my circuit arrangement is correct and also if my code is apprioprate for 50Hz system.

The code looks to be outputing 50Hz OK, although I would like to see a little longer period when both transistors are OFF.

It's simple to tell if it's a 50Hz transformer, is it huge and heavy?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
folarinv said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
folarinv said:

The code looks to be outputing 50Hz OK, although
I would like to see a little longer period when both transistors are OFF.
The two transistors are never off at the same time ( no delay between the switching of the transistors.
It's simple to tell if it's a 50Hz transformer, is it huge and heavy?.
Yes. its a huge and heavy transformer. It has two black-colored cables as the center-tap cable on the secondary side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back