Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ionic Detox Machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
I walk my dog around for 30-40 minutes, twice a day, and meet people, and sometimes see some unusual things. Outside a 'antique' shop, the owner was sitting outside, with his feet in a tub of rusty colored water. He sells the junk, his wife has another shop, where she does massage, and alternative healing stuff (who know what all for a buck). Both are well into retirement age... Kind of felt trapped, but politely sat through the sales pitch, although she was being subtle about it. I could tell she didn't understand much electronics or science, but didn't attempt to correct, since I'm not a huge believer in the 'miracles' of alternative medicine.

Best I could figure was that the water discoloration was in fact rust, not toxic crap being drawn out of the body through the pores in your feet. The electrode seemed to be steel, maybe stainless. The controller, basically a timer, could see any actual frequency controls, which were part of the sales pitch.

Basically, had it figured out, since water+salt+iron+electricity=rust. The colors on here fancy chart, all seemed consistent with the different iron oxides, except the green. Figure the results vary from person to person, and treatment to treatment, with the amount of salt added to the water, and the sweat, filth, and dead skin on the feet.

They were charging $30 for a 30 minute treatment, and was a little curious about what the internet had to say about it. I'm sure it's relatively harmless, and really no interest in participating. Google had all kinds of hits, seems to be quite a trend these days. Units go for around $100, to over $2k.

Just posted this to see if my assessment was correct, and basically a scam, or to be corrected, if somebody is more familiar with the subject.

Snake oil salesman still alive and well. The Aqua Detox Scam
The sad part is that the old couple probably believe it works.

Last edited:
Snake oil salesman still alive and well. The Aqua Detox Scam
The sad part is that the old couple probably believe it works.

Wow, that one looks just like what they were using, except the electrode was white plastic. Not sure what they believe, never really trusted the woman, she would do most anything for a dollar, though seems harmless enough. I'm not sure if she believes the device works to help people, or just herself. Guess it works well enough, if she's making money on it. The old man seems wise enough not to disagree with her.

Seems like this thing is pretty popular on the web though, guess the varying results, leads people to believe. Iron Oxide comes in at least a dozen different colors. Chemistry was decades ago, but seemed like there must have been a couple dozen Iron oxides. Kind of leaves me in sort of a sticky situation, since it's really the ideal path for walking my dog, don't want to get into a debate, and most definitely don't intend to get 'soaked'. Unfortunately, I must agree that it's just more peaceful to just agree with her. Words are one thing, though, and I know she was looking for a sale. Will try to decline politely, but she's as persistent as Al Gore (sorry, had to put in some trollish GW remark). Will print up the article above, and pass it on, if nothing else works.

I'm sure it's relatively harmless, and really no interest in participating. Google had all kinds of hits, seems to be quite a trend these days. Units go for around $100, to over $2k.

Ah, come on now Harv, where is your sense of adventure:D

A little greenish rust couldn't hurt anyone, right? On the other hand Copper Sulfate is some bad sh.....

Tell her thanks for the enlightenment. You intend to build one for yourself 'one of these days' because you really don't want to share 'medical equipment' with her other clients. :D

Ah, come on now Harv, where is your sense of adventure:D

A little greenish rust couldn't hurt anyone, right? On the other hand Copper Sulfate is some bad sh.....

Mostly, it's not fear, but a matter of pride. I haven't let on that I've been to college, or any advanced learning. They know I work in a warehouse, but little else. Don't want to become a repairman, for whatever bits of electronics they find laying around. They've got a TV repair shop right next door, but they seem unusually busy, which doesn't give me a great deal of confidence in LCD TVs...

Yeah, all kinds of bad stuff floating around, and they use the local tap water too. Got lucky on the evening walk, just the old man. He seems to believe that the machine works, didn't say anything to shake the faith. I'm a firm believer in 'if you believe it, you can achieve it', so who knows. Our minds and bodies do have few secrets still. I don't want to spoil their fun, he seems really convinced it's working, went on and on about the water color. Fortunately, the dog was panting pretty good, which I blamed on the heat, not the cat around the corner, that Jake was really insistent about playing with... Maybe I'll get out early tomorrow, and miss seeing them. Could dig out my spy camera pen, and get some interesting video...

Should be a nice day tomorrow, 50% chance of rain, which should slow down the GW for a day or so. Kind of hope the liquid warming comes later in the day, got a few things to do outside. Will have to remember to ask the old couple their thoughts on the climate, maybe there is some correlation in their beliefs, both require faith to work...

Wasn't so luck walking dog this evening, the old woman showed up. Learned a few things though. Kind of looks like they know the value of the machine, although she's still selling the 'benefits'. Fortunately, she sold both the machines she was using, $200 each (probably cheaper new), and ordered 6 new ones, which should take about 3 weeks to get here (thinking China). Hadn't run into her past few days, as she was busy at the library. Apparently, using their computer, internet, and color printer to put together some sales literature. Guess the foot bath business is pretty good, but selling the machines is where the real money is made.

At first, I was thinking this thing was basically harmless, but now I'm starting to get a little worried. The new sales pitch is about curing some pretty serious conditions, which people should be getting to a doctor early, and treatment started quickly, before things get really bad. Diabetes and cancerous growths aren't things to play with. Fortunately, in a few years, Obama-care kicks in, and people can afford real treatment, if they survive long enough. Was tempted to share my observations, but it would have been a huge waste of time, they had colored charts and graphs, diagrams. Really didn't want to go through that again, and would have lost it, if she had a hockey-stick looking graph. Same fanatical pitch, and condescending tone used in several of the 'closed threads' here, but I don't get the feeling she actually believes it herself. I get the feeling she is just practicing/testing out her material, to see how well it sells. Mostly, I'm staying neutral and disinterested, trying to be polite, but feeling trapped.

Got a hunch these people are getting close to closing shop, and moving on. I wouldn't want to be around when people aren't getting the result they were promised from these machine, after a few months.

It is unfortunate for the alternative practitioner that these bogus devices are allowed to be sold in the name of holistic medicine. While the pharmaceutical companies comply with laws and spend billions of dollars to produce a product in compliance with the FDA (Same practice is observed in Europe and Asia as well) , these snake oil companies are allowed to propagate unhealthy medical cures under the guise of label laws of a product without ever spending a dime on real research for safety of a product. In the end the people using this product will suffer as they opt for bogus treatment as opposed to standard medical treatments.

As long as a product seller does not make an outright claim such as "Will cure" or "Cures" they are allowed to market their product as a nutritional supplement and this stinks. Bogus product claims are rampant on the internet, such as hormone therapies in pill form. First, hormones are proteins and have a shelf life of milliseconds once ingested, the stomach acids will reduce this pill into nothing more than a simple amino compound. And to consider that illness could be leeched out of the skin, for Pete's sake, the skin is a very impermeable layer only open to the smallest of molecules. I don't know what to say other than stuff like this is simply preposterous

I know many here that have the separatist attitude would cringe at what I am about to suggest, but i think the government needs to enact some sort of regulations for such ludicrous products and the outlandish claims that accompany them.

Last edited:
It's a tough thing to bust, since the manufacturer doesn't make the claims, the distributors only hint at possibilities and put up websites with all the wild claims and testimonials (which they can deny any part of later). A warm foot bath, can, and does do so good things for the body, but not remove toxic compounds from organs. It will relax you, remove tension, improve circulation, you will feel better. But if you have an injury or illness, you won't be healed or cured magically, might help speed the process a little.

Should be interesting to see how this progresses. I've never really cared for the woman, could tell she was a fast-buck artist from the start. Most of the thing she was into before were just simple opportunity things, a few pennies and a little work. This one she's investing some time and money to sell, sidewalk demonstrations, colorful literature, really pushing the extreme curative properties and wild claims for these machines. Have to admit, she did stumble on a goldmine though. Searching the internet, you mostly find pages and pages full of people that believe in this miracle device. It's unreal, how so many people could fall for this stuff in this modern age. Guess it's the power of the internet at work (thanks to Al Gore), those a little skeptical or unsure, search the web, and mostly find support, and only a few people who try to show a little common sense, which are quickly labeled as unenlightened. The forum threads aren't even as heated or interesting as the climate discussions that keep getting closed here, and this makes even less sense, least to me.

Next time you see her, just tell her: " I am sorry madam, but I am late for surgery, I am having my ears sewn shut"

I don't think I would've been so polite, maybe the first time but I'm pretty sure I would've told her she's breaking the law when she started selling them and making bogus claims about their effectiveness.

Maybe you've done the right thing so far but you should inform the authorities when she starts selling them. If this were me, I would like to warn her she's breaking the law before I report her but this might not be the best thing to do because it might cause her to move elsewhere. I think the best thing to do is wait until she's actually got them in stock before reporting her.

I think somebody must have said something, haven't heard a word since the old man told me she sold both of her machines. She didn't stay long, last time I ran into her either. I don't know either that well, just stop and talk when I'm out with the dog, been a little over two years. Both are retirement age, and I know she's been into these alternative medicine type treatments for a while. The detox machine is just a new toy. I'm still not entirely sure that she knows how worthless the machine is, or is going by what she reads on the internet.

I should share my point of view about how useless the machine is, and why I believe it. Need to know if she buys the hype, or just doesn't care (most likely). Mostly, I've just felt relieved this past week, that the topic didn't come up.

My theory on how the product was born... I think it was first intended just to provide a warm, soothing foot bath. Instead of electrolysis, they used a coil of steel wire as a low voltage heating element, which in clean water would have lasted fairly long for a Chinese consumer product. The controls would adjust the temperature, and provide auto-shut off timing. The heating element would of course rust over time, feet are dirty, sweat contains salts, and of course people like to add salts to bath water. Eventually, the steel rusts through, and becomes electrodes, which dirties the water. All they did was re-label the control panel, two separate steel coils, instead of one for heating, and encouraged the use of salt, to ensure conduction and oxidation. There are 16 different oxides of iron, most a unique color, and will appear depending on impurities in the water, usually what comes off the feet. I had hoped to find the heated foot bath product, but no luck just yet. Have to figure the right way to ask Google, since these detox baths are hugely popular.

My wife went to MeadowHall yesterday (large shopping centre near Sheffield) - she said people were cuing up to pay £10 for 15 minutes dangling their feet in water with fish nibbling the hard skin off their feet.

Does that work?

My wife went to MeadowHall yesterday (large shopping centre near Sheffield) - she said people were cuing up to pay £10 for 15 minutes dangling their feet in water with fish nibbling the hard skin off their feet.

Does that work?

Piranhas?

I doubt it. I remember putting my hand in a fish pond (at a fish hatchery), as young boy, and the little fish did the same thing. Guess as temperatures keep going up, there is money to made in such things. The fish may do nothing, but the cool water would feel nice on a hot day. We are definitely past winter here. Been in the 90s past week or so, not much rain. Hmmm... cheap plastic splash pool, and bunch of minnows from the bait shop...

Just had a quick google:

Appyfeet
Now open on Lower Arcade
Appyfeet is a new concept foot spa with a difference. It works by using original Garra Rufa fish also known as Doctor Fish, nibble fish or the little dermatologist. They are toothless carp and when you immerse your hands or feet into the warm water these curious little fish get to work by gently nibbling off any dead hard skin, leaving you pampered, healthy and glowing. This totally organic pedicure is becoming more popular all over the world and now you can experience it right here in Meadowhall. For more information please visit Appy Feet Garra Rufa Fish Spa - Home.

It's been on the One Show too.

It's obviously harmless.

I don't think it cures anything, just cleans your feet by removing the dead skin and fluff that collects between your toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back