IR beam emitter and Iphone app for sercurity system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

I notice that visible beam emitters seems to be in everything these days but might rather use IR to reduce any visibility concerns. I would be looking for a VERY tight beam configuration or lens options.

As well, I am still new to the technology just yet but it seems there are several tools available now to write apps for Iphones and the only missing like here is how to get a signal to a phone to alert of any IR beam breaks. I am hoping there is a chip already made that was designed for this application.

I guess I also have to hope the sensitivity can be set on the IR system to reduce rain concerns.

So all you want to do is have something call you when a beam is broken or anything else? If the location has a PC with internet connectivity it becomes pretty easy to do. Long as the PC is running. You need a simple piece of hardware to connect to the PC, something as simple as this would work or any hardware that will take a digital input. Some simple code and a simple script and the PC would phone you with a text message and an email if anything happens, like beam break, smoke detected or whatever.

If the PC is older with a RS232 port (serial port) even that could worrk for a digital input with a few channels. Depends on exactly what you want to do. I assumed you wanted something to call the I Phone or any smart phone.

I should point out simple solutions depend on the cell phone carrier and I am only familiar with some of the more popular US carriers.

Ron

Last edited:
Ron, I think most of my confusion revolves around the wireless communications. More than likely, a DAQ circuit will need to stay in the field and remotely communicate with a PC which in turn can send smart phone messages. I was planning to use LiIon batts and solar to make the circuits stand along outdoors. I would need to monitor voltage as well due to this and probably ignore them at a min voltage since the circuit going offline would otherwise trigger an alarm.

We play with programming of the PIC16F690 but willing to transition to other chips if there is a one-fit-all for the majority of this type of functionality. The range of transmission from IR sensor unit to main PC would be 1000ft.

OK, as to the wireless there are several options. Please don't hold me to these as this is far from my forte. I would think about using wireless X-bee or Zig-Bee modules to send the signals. Maybe a module like this one or similar. Many I have seen will easily do 1,000 feet and will transmit analog as well as digital signals. Some food for thought anyway.

Once the data is on any internet connected PC it becomes easy to send email and text messages to a cell phone or smart phone device. Long as it has an email address or phone number.

Ron

From a component level, I was curious if there is a wireless sending unit we need to look at? We have experience programming and are setup for the 16F690 PIC so any actual ADC and power supply stuff would be a non-issue. I think the main issue here is further communicating the digital signal wirelessly. I guess I look at this as a learning opportunity but maybe this is one of those devices that is better bought than made. I figured a few devices on a bread board and we would be off to the races.

Unless you are familiar with high frequency transmission design buying a module to do the work is the viable solution. You do not simple breadboard a 900 MHz or 2.4 GHz system together. Where you mention:

I would need to monitor voltage as well due to this and probably ignore them at a min voltage since the circuit going offline would otherwise trigger an alarm.

If you are going to monitor a voltage beyond a simple digital level you have an analog as well as digital input device. That is why I suggested whet I did.

Maybe another forum member will chime in with some thoughts.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…