IR data communication problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wowowee

Greetings!

I'm currently working on a project that deals with data communication of nodes via IR. I'm using the Sharp GP1U5X IR receiver. The encoder/decoder that I used is the Motorola MC145026/MC145027 (datasheet on the link below). Both nodes have a PIC16F877 on it. On the receiver side, I have an LCD to display the data being transmitted. I programmed a code that will transmit/receive numbers 0-9. Now my problem is that when the transmitter and receiver nodes are perpindicular to each other, it can't communicate data. While if I offset it with around 30 degrees or more, data communication is almost perfectly fine. LCD will display 0-9 as what the code is. Can I blame the IR sensor for the problem? I read that the GP1U5X is a very powerful IR receiver, but the ones I used is already about 7-8 months old. Help me please. Thanks.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/10/MC145026.pdf

Well the IR detector of course must be able to 'see' the IR emitter light to function.
If you require good reception no matter what the angle you might try wiring multiple IR emitters in series pointing in different directions. What kind of coverage in azimuth/elevation angles and range are you needing?

Lefty

I place two IR emitters in series for the transmitter side. Actually, the sensor was perfectly fine not a month ago. I want to have the maximum range and angle of coverage. Maybe I should try changing the sensors first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…