IR receiver using a PIC16F84A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hauie

hey guys im new with microcontrollers and i have a school project to build a IR receiver that reads a sony IR code using only C language.

i have Htsoft's PICCllite and MPlab.

i know there is alot of examples of finished project but they are all in asm files... i dont understand them.

Just wondering how i should start, any hints or pointers are greatly appreciated.

You might check my tutorials which explains the format of the Sony SIRC's system - but the code is all in assembler.

thanks nigel, that helped alot
i have been doing some research on PICClite and 16f84a

i was thinking of using a interupt and TMR0 to get the pulse of the IR but am not sure how to start

do u know anything about programming a PIC in C nigel? or can anyone else help =) thanks

Can't help you at all on C, the majority of PIC programming is in assembler, and if you can't write a reasonable amount of assembler, you won't be able to write very good C either!.

You might try asking on the forums for the compiler?, don't they run support forums?.

Hmm i have never learnt assembly before.

i have done some projects with atmel atmega48 and i did not have to use assembly at all. but thanks for the reply anyway.

Hauie said:
Hmm i have never learnt assembly before.

i have done some projects with atmel atmega48 and i did not have to use assembly at all. but thanks for the reply anyway.

Assembler forces you to understand the processor, which is essential in programming a micro-controller - you can't write effective C without that knowledge.

Yeah i have been told that too.
my supervisor told me i dont have to use assembly. he is not particular with precise timing and register allocations.

Oh and i went to ur main page ur a ju jitsu master. very interesting

Hauie said:
Yeah i have been told that too.
my supervisor told me i dont have to use assembly. he is not particular with precise timing and register allocations.

Oh and i went to ur main page ur a ju jitsu master. very interesting

IR communication is all about timing. Too sloppy and it won't be reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…