IR. remote control on SKY+ box (Amstrad) wireless IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Al

Down stairs in my living room I have Sky+ (Amstrad box) now rather than Pay out even more cash to view this on my bedroom TV. I purchased on of those 'wireless video senders '**broken link removed** After fitting the video signal worked to an acceptable level. Supplied with these units is a IR. emitter that enable you to turn the Sky box over from wherever the video reciever is situated, now even after setting the system up as per instructions I could not get it to turn my Sky+ box over annoyingly the packaging stated 'WORKS ON ALL BRANDS' after an hour of trial and erro I took the units back and got my money back.After more research I was told that the IR. eye/emitter does not work with the newer versions of SKY+ boxes unfortunatly I was given no reason as to why this is so but I do know that an in-line option is available but that somewhat goes against the wireless system I wanted.

Why is this so and can I make a wirles IR. that will work?

I was told that the IR. eye/emitter does not work with the newer versions of SKY+ boxes unfortunatly I was given no reason as to why this is
I'm guessing the IR codes have been changed to ensure you do pay out even more cash to view on your bedroom TV

I'm guessing the IR codes have been changed to ensure you do pay out even more cash to view on your bedroom TV

No, Sky remotes are effectively identical across all Sky+, Sky+HD boxes, and the older Sky boxes as well - all are just standard RC6 remotes, with different device codes.

If the IR extender doesn't work, there's something very poorly designed about it.

Knowing Sky your probably right as I do see in earlier models it can be done..
I'm wondering if anyone made a circuit to get round this..

Hi Nigel
I went to mapplins for an alternative unit and told these guys about my issues.They phoned tech help who said any 'Video sender' with a magic eye IR. won't work.. never said why.
Seems strange and some Google searches shows they same issues.In older models the only issue's seemed to be the positioning of the magic eye and finding the IR. receiver on the sky box.

hi Mark,
I use the Powermid IR transmitter by Marmitek, works fine on Sky+ remote

E.

https://www.google.co.uk/products/c...a=X&ei=BKr-T7DtH6Wg0QWUye22Bw&ved=0CGUQ8wIwAA

Ha Ha!! hope this is a result!!!
As I said I took back the Video sender I purchased as was no good if I couldn't turn over the box from upstairs.The video images were ok but not the magic eye.

Now I'm not sure Eric if these issues are only related to the Amstrad MODEL- R004.049.21.00P BTW. mine is an HD.box also..On some earlier models and not Amstrad from info seemd to work!!

Last edited:

All Sky boxes and remotes are the same, just with three different device codes - as I said before, if the IR repeater doesn't work, there's something seriously wrong with it. While there are three different device codes, the HD boxes will respond to either Sky+ or Sky+HD remotes - I've been using an old Sky+ remote for setting up Sky HD boxes ever since they came out.

BTW, the model is a DRX890 - the number above is to do with the software version.

I will trust in what you and Eric state and purchase the one Eric suggests..

Thanks for everyone's advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…