Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR remote translator

Status
Not open for further replies.

windmill

I have two satellite receivers that are the same. I want to use one for recording shows and the other for watching shows, so I can watch one and record another at the same time. I have to keep covering the IR detector on one unit so it will not be disturbed while I'm changing the channels on the other unit. Both units are controlled by the same remote. I have a spare Sony remote from a VCR. Is there a circuit that I can program to receive the signal from the Sony remote and translate it so the the satellite receiver will recognize it?
Thanks.

Yes, but you would need to use a PIC (or similar) and write the software to do it - my PIC tutorial reads Sony remotes, and transmits them. You would need to reverse engineer the codes for your satellite and transmit those instead.

Got any polarized plastic around? Put a piece on the IR remote, one on the first receiver rotated +45 degrees and one on the 2nd receiver rotated -45 degrees in relation to the piece on the IR remote. Depending on how much IR the polarizer blocks all you have to do is tilt the remote control left or right to chose a device.
Check your local hobby stores, one of them has to sell polarized plastic sheets.

Sceadwian said:
Got any polarized plastic around? Put a piece on the IR remote, one on the first receiver rotated +45 degrees and one on the 2nd receiver rotated -45 degrees in relation to the piece on the IR remote. Depending on how much IR the polarizer blocks all you have to do is tilt the remote control left or right to chose a device.
Check your local hobby stores, one of them has to sell polarized plastic sheets.

What a great idea! I've never seen the polarized plastic around at retailers, however a little bit of googling revealed the following https://www.berezin.com/3D/3dglasses.htm#Polarized. Scroll about halfway down and look for "Polarized Cardboard". You get three pairs of glasses for 2$, and they are already at +-45 degree angles. They are based in the U.S., but they do international orders.

Sig239 said:
What a great idea! I've never seen the polarized plastic around at retailers, however a little bit of googling revealed the following https://www.berezin.com/3D/3dglasses.htm#Polarized. Scroll about halfway down and look for "Polarized Cardboard". You get three pairs of glasses for 2$, and they are already at +-45 degree angles. They are based in the U.S., but they do international orders.

Be interesting to hear if it works?, personally I'm doubtful - the IR receiver chips used are EXTREMELY sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back