Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR sensor project

ksanand

I have planned to make a circuit to give power supply to 24 IR sensor (emitter & receiver).

To reduce the more current consumption for Input SMPS (selected 24V, 10A) i plan to switch few sensors On while few is OFF

Switching time need to be in milli seconds for each sensor.

When one sensor is ON others or at least few need to be OFF.

Example : Atleast i need to switch ON 4 sensors at a time and while other 20 sensors will not consume current in same fraction of millisecond.
then i need to ON 2nd set of 4 sensors keeping other 20 in OFF. likewise i need to provide continuously a intermittent supply to every 24 sensors.

Requesting you to kindly suggest a circuit solution.
Thanks

Do you have a link to the IR emitters?

This could easily be done with a 555 and a cd4017 plus a number of transistors but what you have said doesn't make sense.
You'll probably need a microprocessor to read the IR receivers so you could use that to turn on the emitters.

It would be much easier if you told us what you are trying to do.

Mike.

You need an Arduino, ESP32, or any other suitable microcontroller with enough GPIO pins. You will also need a Logic-level N-channel MOSFETs for switching the 24 pairs of IR emitter and receiver pairs on and off.

Please post your schematic of the 24 IR sensor/emitter circuits. What is the current consumption of one of the circuits? Do you really need a 10 A power source to run just 4 circuits?

Stepping through 6 groups of four circuits each is a pretty simple control circuit. A circuit for switching the power depends entirely on the IR circuit.

ak

You need an Arduino, ESP32, or any other suitable microcontroller with enough GPIO pins. You will also need a Logic-level N-channel MOSFETs for switching the 24 pairs of IR emitter and receiver pairs on and off.
Without knowing more about the IR circuits it is impossible to say, but I'm pretty sure you don't "need" most of that. Seems like a lot of hardware (and software overhead) for a simple little stepper circuit. Plus, you don't know if it is acceptable to switch the grounds of the IR circuits.

ak

Without knowing the application it's impossible to advise.
Looks like the OP hasn't been back since he asked the question.
We'll probably never see him again.

Mike.

Hi
It is a machine used for textile application.
Machine needs 2400 sensors to monitor each positions.
One set of pcbs (1master, 2 slave) needed for 24 position.
V have a 24v 10amps SMPD line runs throughout machine.
Each 24 positions will be supplied with 24v line tapped from the bus.
V convert it to 5v and 3.3v for controller and other operations.
As v plan to have source as 10amps or max at 20amps, v need to manage supply without loading with more current consumption for SMPS.
So v believe switching method supply at a time 4 per 24 positions can be done.
So that in each 24 nos out of 2400 positions, v can make a control by switching on 4 positions at a time for few millisecond and then next 4 or few millisecond ...like wise for 24 position 6 times can b switched in one cycle.
Then repeating d same process.
If v hv a design for one set of 24 positions, v can repeat for entire machine for each 24positions.
Hope i hav detailed and will be helpful.

Again, How much current does each position need?

Or, how much current does each group of 4 need? This is important for designing the power switch.

ak

How did you decide that each 24 positions needed 3 circuit boards? That's a total of 300 boards per machine. It would make more sense to have one board per 24 (or more) positions.
Using a 40 pin chip (something like an 18F45Q24) you could multiplex many IR LEDs maybe 8x8 (64 total) .
Could the positions be arranged so that 64 LEDs could each illuminate one sensor so you can turn each LED on in turn and read the sensor?
More information is definitely needed.

Mike.

Latest threads

Back