Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR Temperature Detection with sensitivty of 1 degree - possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMSAR

Hi,

I'm trying to design a system which will be able to detect a hot object on a cold surface. The downside is the temperature difference is only 1 degree celcius and I'd like to use IR from a distance of about 10cm (further away preferred if possible).

Does anyone with any experience of this know a suitable sensor or system I could use please. I'm guessing some form of calibration will be needed to tell the sytem the temperature of the cold surface first.

Thanks,

What are the sizes of the two? What temperatures? Detection only? Not temperature? In other words you want to know there is a hot object on a cold plate not how hot the object is?

Thanks,

Object of interest is about 50mm diameter and should be about 19 degrees. The surface is technically unlimited and has a temperature of about 17 degrees.

Yes, I'm only interested in detection (e.g. scanning the sensor over a large area and it should bleep (arbitrarily) on detection).

Comments welcomed!

This is a very good read on IR Pyrometers. I suggest you give the link a good read, especially the section that talks about: "What is emissivity, and how is it related to infrared temperature measurements"? Emissivity can be a key element in the game and how well an IR temperature sensor can read from an object. I have had very good and accurate results with some materials and lousy with others.

You are looking at a very small temperature change between your table surface and the object which can be a problem, however, if you scroll down this page you will see quite a few flavors of IR pyrometers, including those with an analog output. Possibly one with a large enough analog out per degree change could drive a comparator or a design along those lines. Just something to consider. The sides of the pages linked to have a wealth of information with other links. Including more information on emissivity.

Calibration of these sensors for accuracy as to temperature is generally done using a "black body" and you will see those in the links.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back