IR to RF 433 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

badboy123

For the past week or so I've been reading about microcontrollers and would like to start a project...

I recently purchased a set of remote controlled sockets to turn on and off a few devices that I only use every so often. The remote uses RF to communicate with the sockets (it says 433.92 MHz on the back of the remote).

Now, I have an All in one IR remote control that I use to control my TV, DVD, STB etc.

What I intend to do is create a device so that when it receives an IR signal from the All in one remote, it transmits the same signals as the RF remote, depending on which button was pressed, thereby turning the sockets on and off in the same room, with the all in one remote.

To tackle this I am assuming I will have to do the following..
1. Create a device to receive the RF signals from the RF remote and interface with something like hyperterminal via a MAX232.
2. Program a microcontroller (preferably a pic as I intend to make a pic programmer soon for a different project) with the signals received in hyperminal and the commands from the IR remote.

I am not sure what modules to use for the RF and IR. Would something like this do the trick for the RF: **broken link removed**

I have seen similar projects use a TSOP1738 as an IR receiver however I cant seem to find this component so I am assuming this has been replaced with something newer?

Would I hook the above RF receiver directly to a MAX232 and press a button to read the signal produced by the RF remote in hyperterminal or is it more complicated than that?

Can somebody give me nudge in the right direction bearing in mind I am still new to microcontrollers. Thanks

Check my PIC tutorials, which give information about both IR and RF - neither use RS232 type signals, as it's not suitable, so Hyperterminal isn't any use.

I have seen similar projects use a TSOP1738 as an IR receiver however I cant seem to find this component so I am assuming this has been replaced with something newer?

There are quite a few different 'IR reciever' modules around. The part you described is a well known one, but many other brands/part numbers will do, providing you check the datasheet. Generally having three pins, VCC (usually 5v, but can be lower), GND/0V and out.

As suggested, nigels tutorials are a great place to start with micro's, especially as he has covered IR and RF communication.

If you could convert the RF signals to data, using a microcontorller, you still can use hyperterminal to view what that data is. Its complicated though, as nigel pointed out, IR and RF don't use standard UART/serial formats, that doesn't mean to say you can't still use a micro to convert it to serial for debugging.

Altohugh I ithnk its possible, I believe it would be easier to control your 'RF remote' with your IR remote. Having a 'black box' somewhere that you point your IR remote at, it picks up the IR signals, and which button you press, and triggers the existing RF remote. Or perhaps that what you meant? To convert an IR remote to RF wouldn't be that difficult, however..... you would have to reprogram the IR remote to send the same data as your RF remote = ridiculously complicated. A think a 'translator' would be the easiest option. Not for the actual infrared to RF, but for the data it carries.

Thanks for the replies.

@Blueteeth
I originally thought of the 'black box' option but then decided to go down the IR to RF route..

My IR remote has a learning function where I can program each button manually...considering what you said about reprogramming the IR remote to send the same data as the RF remote, would it be possible to construct something similar to the transmitter and receiver found on:Turn your TV IR transmitter into an RF transmitter but using the above maplin Tx and Rx pair..

Then put the IR remote into 'learning' mode... press a button on the RF remote... have the constructed receiver convert the RF into IR and send out an equivalent IR signal to the IR remote...then use the constructed transmitter to transmit the same RF signal using the newly programmed IR remote?

When you say 'translator', what do you mean?

Also, how would I know before constructing the above circuits, that they would pick up the RF remote? Would they pick up any signal on 433 Mhz frequency?

Can you let us know how your doing?

I want to do the exact same thing as you as I also have rf sockets but I was thinking of the "blackbox" method. Anyone have any circuits?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…