IR wall detection -- physical setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
EDIT:
After posting this I realized that most of what I am asking is impossible to answer due to the charistics of specific parts. Just the same any pointers are welcome.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to demo how this at school soon. I have a receiver on a breadboard and code on the processor that detects the low from the receiver. So far I have only tested it with a TV remote which puts out too strong an IR signal. I can bounce it off the ceiling and it still sees it. (That is expected)

I could come up with this by working with it but if anyone can give me a starting point it would be very helpful. Could save me some time.

The questions I have is about setting up the IR LEDs. I am going to be driving them with a PIC port pin. How much of a resistor is required to reduce the current through each LED such that it will have enough but not too much IR. I know I could also cut the duty cycle of the 40KHz back to less then 50%. If ones goes that route how low of a duty cycle will the TSOP receiver work with?

I plan to use 2 IR LEDs with a receiver in the middle \ | / only one LED will be active at a time. The idea is to check to the left and the right.

Currently I have 3 choices of LEDs
17 degree angle
25 degree angle
Radio Shack Clear unknown angle
Radio Shack Grey unknown angle

Which LEDs and what angle between the detector and the receiver.

Last edited:

Check my website that includes just what you're looking for

**broken link removed**

and the original site

http://users.frii.com/dlc/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…