Is it OK to keep solder paste in a food fridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

They don't let us do this at work, but I need some solder paste for an upcoming project (TPA6120 headphone amp). It would be double bagged in zip-locs and in a tupperware container, if that matters. I could spend $50 on a microfridge or wait for one to come up for free on craigslist but I was just wondering if it was worth the trouble. I don't know how bad paste is relative to regular old solder I guess you could say.

ETA: nevermind, it apparently has cadmium in it too. Puts the kibosh on that.

Last edited:

I don't see why not, unlesss its not rohs compliant.

The old solder is toxic city, the new stuff is pretty safe, but i'd still wouldnt put it in my sandwhich.

This solderpaste has Cadmium in it??? I would take it to a toxic dump!!!

do you eat while sleep walking, or have small children?

I keep all sorts of fun stuff in my fridge that is "toxic", but I don't try to eat any of it, and its all sealed up in plastic or glass.

It's just the standard no-clean syringe that Digikey has (R276 paste). The data sheet or MSDS or whatever on Kester's site says it has cadmium in it. It could be trace amounts but is listed.

speakerguy79 said:
It's just the standard no-clean syringe that Digikey has (R276 paste). The data sheet or MSDS or whatever on Kester's site says it has cadmium in it. It could be trace amounts but is listed.

Thats fine. Just remember not to confuse it with mayonaise. I keep batteries in my fridge, nothing wrong with me.

well figure how nasty most food and water tap is, i don't think a lil bit of toxic stuff is gonna kill ya. If so we'd all be dead by now with all the damn chlorine in the water, which is even chlorine fumes are toxic and can kill you. Also if you're like me you've drank plenty of toxic stuff called alcohol. mmmmmmm alllkeehol.

Chlorine is actually a chemical the body needs (aka salt). Chlorine is not too bad in small amounts. Cadmium will make you nearly drop dead.

Crusty it may help of you acutally know what you are talking about.

The biggest risk to keeping toxics in the fridge is that of misidentification. I keep solder paste, cyanoacrylate glue, and RTV in my fridge but it's in a container that won't be mistaken as food.

Krumlink said:
Chlorine is actually a chemical the body needs (aka salt). Chlorine is not too bad in small amounts. Cadmium will make you nearly drop dead.

Crusty it may help of you acutally know what you are talking about.

try chuggin a glass of chlorine and get back to me on this.

crusty, this is silly. The body needs almost all of the naturally occurring elements but in the right proportion. This doesn't mean that a microgram of chlorine will kill you, nor does it mean that a pint is OK.

mneary said:
crusty, this is silly. The body needs almost all of the naturally occurring elements but in the right proportion. This doesn't mean that a microgram of chlorine will kill you, nor does it mean that a pint is OK.
you should taste our tap water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…