Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to implement CAN communication between ATmega32, AT90usb1287 e.t.c

Status
Not open for further replies.

veerubiji

Hi,

I am new to embedded programming. I want to know is it possible to implement CAN bus communication between AVR microcontrollers like ATmega32, AT90USB1287 e.t.c. (which don't have built in CAN interface).

I have found some AVR microcontrollers which have built in CAN interface. But i have already working hardware with above microcontrollers so just i want to replace already existing communication(usb) with CAN bus. I am going to connect several microcontroller boards to the main board which contains CPU. Is it possible ? can anyone explain me how to implement?

Thanks in advance.

You'll have to be crazy pro programmer and willing to waste lot of free time if you want to try do that in software. And still you would need some hardware to interface the CAN bus.

Easiest solution would be to use external CAN controller like MCP2515.. it is cheap ~2USD. You communicate with the controller through SPI interface, so it would be quite simple to build a board for it and connect it to the SPI interface of the microcontroller. I bet you could find a ready made board if you google around a little bit.

MCP2515 Datasheet: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/05/21801d.pdf

Found this board from Futurlec. Only $12.90: https://www.futurlec.com/Mini_CAN_Board.shtml

Even if you use that CAN board, there will still be some serious programming for you to do. Look at this project.. especially the code he provides: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back