Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is PIC 16F873 interchangeable with 16F872 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi folks,

Just trying to figure out if I could use a PIC 16F872 instead of the 16F873 that is used in the Cap meter shown in the link?

If anyone has any info if its possible or even if I could use the 16F874, please let me know.

I have both 872 and 874 PICs on hand but no 873s and I was hoping to use the original code that the author shows, would there be a difference?

Thanks................Al :confused:

It may work. The 872 has only half the memory and much less ram than the 873. It also lacks comparators and only has 1 ccp module. You link isn't showing so I can't look at the code.

Mike.

Sorry mate, forgot the link! posted now though

Pommie said:
It may work. The 872 has only half the memory and much less ram than the 873. It also lacks comparators and only has 1 ccp module. You link isn't showing so I can't look at the code.

Mike.

Me being a dumbass again, but just so long as I remember the wifes birthday and our anniversary! Nothing else is life threatening! hehehe ;)

Anyway put the link here and above now.

http://www.geocities.com/dariuskrail20/PICCapMeter.html

Al

Unfortunately, it's exceeded it's download limit so is unavailable.

Mike.

BTW, the 874 will definitely work but obviously won't fit a PCB due to it being 40 pin.

Mike.

Good job I saved the bits then! Here they are

Pommie said:
Unfortunately, it's exceeded it's download limit so is unavailable.

Mike.

Schematic and ASM from Pic cap meter

Regards......Al :)

Attachments

• PICCapProtoschem.jpg
    PICCapProtoschem.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 466
  • piccap.asm
    24 KB · Views: 227
Unfortunately, it uses a comparator and so the 872 won't work. Infact, the 873 won't work either. It has to be a 873A as the earlier version doesn't have the comparators. The 874A will work.

Mike.

874 maybe not 874A?

Pommie said:
Unfortunately, it uses a comparator and so the 872 won't work. Infact, the 873 won't work either. It has to be a 873A as the earlier version doesn't have the comparators. The 874A will work.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Just one last question then, would the 16F874 work or does it need to be the "A"? The 874 datasheet shows a comparator I think, well it shows two Capture Compare modules.

PS. Why is it that EVERY circuit I want to build always has need for a chip I don't have? Is it some part of Ohms law that I didn't notice at school?

Hehehehehe............Al ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back