Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is resistor necessary for driving 7Segment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would recommend using 8 resistors rather than one on the common pin. Some segments have a low dynamic resistance that makes it glow very bright stealing current away from the other pins and hence causing them to glow dull.

Thank you dears,

in my project i employed 14 latch and 7segment. i want to use resistor array for each latch and 7segment (in addition 14 resistor array). is it good idea?

It's an awful lot of parts, I would recommend a much simpler design but would take slightly more I/O pins and would be a 1/8 mux (refreshed) display not a latched display. Treat the segments A-G & d.p. as row drivers and turn on all 14 digits at once but only one segment at a time. A SN74HC138 could act as a 3 to 8 decoder for the rows, you'll need driving transistors that can handle sinking or sourcing the entire 14 segments at once and you'll only need 14 current limiting resistors on the CC or CA pins of the digits.
Take a look at my Dragonfly kit for ideas.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back