is resistor necessary for driving 7Segment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would recommend using 8 resistors rather than one on the common pin. Some segments have a low dynamic resistance that makes it glow very bright stealing current away from the other pins and hence causing them to glow dull.

Yes,My favorite values vary between 120R-220R. 330 Ohm pretty bit high.For one segment its ok, but for multiplexing 4 or above it needs a lower value otherwise the display will dim.

Thank you dears,

in my project i employed 14 latch and 7segment. i want to use resistor array for each latch and 7segment (in addition 14 resistor array). is it good idea?

It's an awful lot of parts, I would recommend a much simpler design but would take slightly more I/O pins and would be a 1/8 mux (refreshed) display not a latched display. Treat the segments A-G & d.p. as row drivers and turn on all 14 digits at once but only one segment at a time. A SN74HC138 could act as a 3 to 8 decoder for the rows, you'll need driving transistors that can handle sinking or sourcing the entire 14 segments at once and you'll only need 14 current limiting resistors on the CC or CA pins of the digits.
Take a look at my Dragonfly kit for ideas.
**broken link removed**

I prefer to use serial shift resisters. These take less pins and can be cascaded to connect several 7 segs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…