Is there one kit that can programm PIC with 18, 20, 28-pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

folarinv

I just started learning Microcontrollers. My concern is would i have to buy different programming kit for the various types of ICs that exists i.e there are PIC with 18-pins, 20-pins, 28-pins and so on. 20-pin IC may not fit into the 18-pin kit

secondly, most of the tutorials always talk about 16F. but i have a faulty charger circuit i'm troubleshooting and PIC16C71-04/p is used in the circuit. so what could be the consequence if i start to learn with 16C71****

Re: Is there one kit that can programm PIC with 18, 20, 28-p

folarinv said:
I just started learning Microcontrollers. My concern is would i have to buy different programming kit for the various types of ICs that exists i.e there are PIC with 18-pins, 20-pins, 28-pins and so on. 20-pin IC may not fit into the 18-pin kit

Have a look at the P16PRO40 (circuit is on my website), this uses either separate sockets, or a single 40 pin Aries ZIF socket, any PIC from 8 pins to 40 pins can be programmed in the single socket, by inserting them in the correct place.

secondly, most of the tutorials always talk about 16F. but i have a faulty charger circuit i'm troubleshooting and PIC16C71-04/p is used in the circuit. so what could be the consequence if i start to learn with 16C71****

The consequence is that the 16C71 is OTP, so you can only use it once. You can buy a UV eraseable version (JW), but these are extremely expensive - and slow to develop with as they take a good while to erase under UV.

Far better to use a more modern FLASH version, there's almost certainly a FLASH replacement for the 16C71.

As it's a 16 series chip, with a 14 bit core, any of the 16F series will run the same code - although there will be slight differences due to the facilities included, mainly setting up.

Thanks so much Nigel. but i have a few more questions:

a)May I assume that I can use one 16F series for all my training circuits(different programs/functions) without having to erase with UV. Learners do make mistakes and i may need to bench-test the circuit, make correction or modify my design.

b)I'm planning to purchase a programming kit. Would you want to recomend one. A kit that would serve the purpose of training and a bit professional and the same time cheap. I have friends that visit London if you have any store in mind, it will be esaier for me to buy it in London.

a) Yes, 16F can be program/erased without UV errasing. They are ideal for beginners.

b) I built my own, it is free but more difficult for beginners.

folarinv said:
a)May I assume that I can use one 16F series for all my training circuits(different programs/functions) without having to erase with UV. Learners do make mistakes and i may need to bench-test the circuit, make correction or modify my design.

Yes, as Jay says, they are easily reusable - you simply program over them, the first part of the programming sequence wipes the chip.

Have a look at **broken link removed**, this is the P16PRO40 as a kit, I would STRONGLY recommend getting the ZIF socket with it. For full software, use either WinPicProg or ICProg - both free!.

Hi folarinv,
I australia is a web based company called Dontronics www.dontronics.com.au and they have a full range of pic programmers and a heap of info on pic's namely the simmstick but a heap of other things too. I own a 16pro40 programmer and I got the kit from Don but they have discountinued that kit, but they do sell usb based programmers. Another link is www.kitrus.com who also are web based. These two electronic dealers both have a great reputation in the trade and ship anywhere in the world.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bryan

believe me, the P16PRO40 is really easy to build. i built my own P16PRO40 when i had very little experience in making a PCB, soldering etc. i believe that you can easily build it on a breadboard in 10 minutes, provided that you have the components :lol:

but obviously buying a kit or a pre-made programmer will save you time and you will have something that is error free.

thanks samcheetah,

I feel a bit confident with making electronics circuit now. i need to move on to other things. i want to spend time learning to program the PIC and less time with circuit construction.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Jay.slovak said:
Wow what a nice Tripple POST !!! LOL :lol:

Not for long!

was the triple post my mistake or there's something else to it. 'cos' I posted it once and it appeared thrice and i assumed it was a mistake from my side.

Sometimes the forums appear busy, and your browser times out waiting for the updated screen to appear. In that case you don't know if your post has gotten through or not, and it's easy to post it again - then find out the first one got through.

I've deleted your multiple posts again :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…