Is there some sort of chip that transforms voltage into decoded 7 segment display?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amando96

Hi, i recently found a printer power supply, gives me 5v, and another rail with 24v, i don't ever use 24v, so i am going to put an LM317 at the 24v output like this.
**broken link removed**

So i can have loads of voltages, the thing is, i would like to be able to measure that voltage without using my multimeter, is there some sort of chip that transforms voltage into decoded 7 segment display?
I only need two displays, voltages won't go over 20v.

thanks

Maybe what you want is a 7 segment panel meter. They display voltage directly. The circuit you want is included with the display.

Those are a bit pricey, not available locally.

What about voltage to binary, and then a binary to 7 segment display?

I do not know what you budget is but futurlec has a 0 to 20V panel meter XL3-20V for about $9US.

The down side is that they take about 2 weeks to a month to deliver.

Thanks eric, seems like that will be it, can't say no to a free chip.

I try my best not to buy from the US, because of customs.

I do not know what you budget is but futurlec has a 0 to 20V panel meter XL3-20V for about $9US.

The down side is that they take about 2 weeks to a month to deliver.
I bought one and it arrived in about a week. It does require 12V for power (minimum about 8V), and the power and measured voltage can share a common ground. Some digital panel meters (as well as the ICL7106 and ICL7107) require a separate supply.

Last edited:
It only consumes 20-25mA so i would use the 5v rail to power it, and measure the adjustable rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…