Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ISP ATmega32

Status
Not open for further replies.

abees81

Hello everyone,,,

I am trying to program AVR ATMEGA32 using parallel port,,,
so I used the schematics in the attached gif file, and the software is Ponyprog2000.

I chose the interface setup to be AVR ISP IO from LPT1, and i clicked the calibration button. Then I chose ATmega32 from the device menu.
up to now everything went well, except when I tried to write or erase hex data it gave me the messege: " Device missing or uknown Device (-24)"
I replaced 3 AVR's and 4 74HC244 drivers but nothing changed.

Maybe I am missing something, The 10 pin connector is connected directly to the AVR and the crystal frequency is 10 MHz.

I appreciate your help guys because I am stuck!!
Thanks

Attachments

• avrisp-siprog.gif
    avrisp-siprog.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,546
hi ab,

In your PC, are you using the Win XP operating system.?

If so, to access the PC's parallel port, you may require a *.dll in the Windows/System directory. I use inpout32.dll, its a free load from the web.

Also check your Port settings in the BIOS setup, during the power up, boot sequence.

Regards

Last edited:
use avr ISP

abees81 said:
up to now everything went well, except when I tried to write or erase hex data it gave me the messege: " Device missing or uknown Device (-24)"

You say everything went well, did you successfully program this device before?
Can you read the signature bytes?

I am suspecting that you misprogrammed the clock select fuses in which case a parallel programmer is needed to restore them. This is a very common thing that happens. Once this happens, you cannot communicate with the micro via the serial (SPI) method.

If you know someone who has a universal programmer like a Labtool, or a EMP10 ask them to erase the chip and reprogram the clock select fuses again.

OR

you can try connecting an oscillator (not a crystal) to xtal1 pin of the mega32. Then try erasing it a few times, and reprogram your clksel fuses
(see the datasheet for correct config) This ususally works for me. The frequency of the oscillator does not matter, I use whatever I have usually a 4MHz oscillator will do.

Now this might not be the problem, I am not sure. If your circuit is good, then I would try other software. For one bit of advice DON'T use PonyProg! I do not like that software. Its alot easier to just use the avrISP that comes on the atmel site.

I prefer avrdude. It works in windows and is a command line interface, so you can always change the config really easy.

**broken link removed**

Good Luck

one more thing regarding fuse programming

one more thing, if you get it to work take caution on how you program the fuses, or this problem you are having (if that is what the problem is) will continue to happen.

You need to look at the datasheet. Usually in AVR's, "0" means programmed. So a checkbox in the software could mean program the fuse or "don't program" the fuse.

Pretty confusing, this is why I use avrdude, because once the config is entered in the cmd line (bat file), that's it, never mess around again!

Good Luck

Hi
I am working on ATmega AVR controller 1st time and want to program ATmega32 .
I have found a Cmege editor to program this Controller.
but the main part is to connect the controller and to burn the program in it.
please any one tell me how do i can burn ATmega32 program.
please suggest the editor and circuit diagram for it.

Problem regarding burning program in Microcontroller

Myself Sumanta Kumar Show is facing a problem with burning program in ATMEGA32

microcontroller. While burning the program into the microcontroller with Extreme Burner-AVR a

message is coming that "MISMATCH AT LOCATION 0X00001F80". I am attaching the circuit and the

ISP connection diagram. Please have a look on it and please suggest me how to solve this

problem? Yours response is highly appreciated.

Sumanta

Have you done the "Calibration" in Pony Prog's Setup Menu?

What Version of PonyProg you'll use.
On my Computer only the Beta 2.07c would work.

You can try another Port driver in the Interface Setup.

Automatic Device Selection "Auto AVR" wouldn't work! Do the selection manual.

Sometimes there could be a Problem into the parallel Port setup into the BIOS setups of your Computer.

Last edited:
Myself Sumanta Kumar Show is facing a problem with burning program in ATMEGA32 Sumanta
first, I thought you already have a thread on this?
Second, you don´t have a pullup on reset so no wonder nothing works.
Also take the SD out before programming the chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back