Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

issue with P16PRO40

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexter

Hi,

I'm sure that I've done something wrong or misunderstood something and that is the reason for this, but any help would be appreciated!

So, I've assembled (actually breadboarded) the PIC programmer, following https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/11/p16pro40.pdf, leds are blinking and look cool, but when I start flashing pic with winpicprog, it gives an error message about verification failing at address 0.

When I try to read the PIC, buffer gets filled with 3FFF
When I try reading PIC with programmer powered OFF buffer gets filled with 0
When programmer is not connected, WinPicProg doesn't detect port

The pic, which I've used is (or maybe already was) PIC16F628.
WinPicProg is version 1.91
Driver: the one, provided on winpicprog.co.uk
PC: Dell Inspiron 5000

Hardware _seems_ to be assembled correctly. Any ideas?

-----

Also, tried playing around with Delays in settings. Didn't help.
One extra thing is that I've used 74LS06N, which was, of cause, selected in Hardware settings.
PSU was up to 20V DC

Last edited:
what chip are you using in the programmer, and have you selected the right one in hardware settings in winpicprog?
You can also try to toggle every line from the program and see if they go hi/low

Hardware _seems_ to be assembled correctly. Any ideas?

I would ground the PGM pin (pin 10 on the PIC16F628), through a 10kohm resistor for example. If that pin is floating, the PIC might enter the LVP mode and the programming could be unsuccesful.

not what chip you are programming, but the 14 pin chip in the programmer is it a 7406 or 7407 and have you selected the right one in options/hardware/programmer type

WinPicProg includes the capability to manually toggle the output lines, so you can easily measure the voltages on the PIC. Select 'Options/Hardware', there are a row of six buttons (and one display 'button') along the bottom of the window. Press the buttons to toggle them on and off.
And when you toggle the Output button the Input button will follow the on/off toggle If the programmer is connected and powered up

yes. input follows output :) Now first byte in buffer becomes 3E03 when i read pic. PROGRESS! but the rest stays same.

Last edited:
Fixed couple of issues:
1. Missing ground on pin5 of target chip
2. Missing ground on one of the LPT port pins

Once it went further and said that error is now at address 16, instead of usual 0. When I retried (without changing any settings or anything) it again said that verification error happened at address 0.

So, I've checked the lines and to which pins of target chip those are connected:
4 - Vpp (13V)
5 - Gnd (Hardwired)
12 - Clock (4.39V)
13 - Output (4.71V)
14 - Vdd (5.01V)

Are those correct?

As was said already and now I'm almost sure, that I'm just missing something somewhere ... so ...

Well, failed again ... Could it be that this delays are set wrongly? I mean Vpp Delay and Prog Delay in HW settings? Cause, I'm able to read/write parts of code, or sucesfully flash small code, but at some point it fails during the operation and always in different places ... Any comments about this?

I have same software and hardware and the delays is set to 10, It works perfect but you can try to change them.

But now i have got a new cheap Pickit 2 Microchip ICSP programmer, and it is very good so i do not use the P16PRO40 so much more:)

Last edited:
well, seems to work now after some minor tunning. Also tried winpic800 ... worked after spending some time figuring out how to configure it. So, I believe that my problems have their roots in delays. Perhaps I will try it tomorrow ...
If I will have some time tomorrow, I will mill a proto board for it, lets see then.

3:38am now here ...

Well, I can buy a programmer for my self ... but ... then, what can I do with my chip? all my projects are already made by somebody else and are worth affordable price for me, so I can buy those as well, why bother? Engineering spirit?
This kind of programmer supprots all the versions of PIC i intend to use, the price is 0EUR (even components and board are free), so why should I waste another $50?

I guess peace of mind isn't worth $50. And if you asked before you built it you'd have discovered that JDM style programmers can be really hit & miss with a modern PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back