Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Issues converting [12V to 5V] Buck converter to Forward conveter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmo

Hello,

Just discovered these forums. Seems I've been missing out.

I've got a 12V to 5V buck conveter which I am to now convert to an isolated design. Obvious progression was a forward converter.

Using the TL5001 for PWM/Control and a P-Channel MOSFET (FQP17P06/7) with basic totem pole driver. 47uH ind/100uF cap.

Wound the transformer 4:2:4 (Primary:Demag:Secondary), chucked another diode in on the secondary side but there's no output. Seems there is a short somewhere, as the short circuit protection on the TL5001 is high.

Is there any reason that a forward converter would not work with a P-Channel MOSFET?
I initially tried the converter with an N-Channel but switched to the P-Ch due to simpler gate drive circuitry. As I understand it the N-Ch needs Vin + Vgs(thresh) to switch the FET. True? How to overcome?
Is there a way I can drive the N-Ch without too much hassle?

For the isolated feedback I was going to go for an opto/431(programmable zener/shunt reg) combo. That's the best bet?

Any help/pointers to resources would be much appreciated :)

Cheers,
simon.

One issue with going from a buck to a forward converter would be that the max FET On time for the forward is WAY less than the max FET ON time for the buck. Posting a diagram of both circuits would help alot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back