Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Issues with charging a Li Ion safely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi, I did some research at Battery University as I want to develop a PIC (12F675) based charger for a protected mode 10440 AAA 3.6V, 350mA Li ion cell.

Can anyone verify or comment on the accuracy of the following statements for me please?

1) Charging a Li ion to around 4.1V peak is safe but will give around 80% energy with a much greater charge cycle lifespan.

2) A protected mode Li ion will not accept over voltage or over discharge or over current.

3) A protected mode Li ion still requires a smart charger and not a dumb continuous charger.

4) Charging with a 3.7V to 4.1V hysterisis (on/off) range is satisfactory from the safety and longevity standpoint, but may not delver more than 80% - 85% of full charge.

Conclusion:
I can use a basic Nokia cell phone charger (5V, 350- 800mA) with a PIC pwm drive to a Logic FET driver via an RC filter. Two ADCs sampling across a 2 ohm precision resistor will inform on and permit s'ware control of both the charge current and the charge voltage. The logic FET will be limited to a linear mode, max current of about 200mA which is equivalent to .57 C charge rate. Resistor dissipation = .2x.2x2 = .08W = 80mW.

Maximum estimated dumb Charger V = 6Vdc at 200mA. With .4V across the current sense resistor = 5.6V remaining. With a 3V cell to be charged, that drops 2.6V at 200mA across the FET or .52W of heat to dissipate at peak load. It may be prudent to slowly ramp the charge current up from 35mA (.1C) to manage FET heating. At 35mA, FET heating is a moderate .14 Watt assuming 7VDC from the dumb charger at that low load.

This setup should permit s'ware control over the charge rate states. eg.
State 1) Trickle charge at .1C for a battery under 3V until it achieves 3V.
State 2) 200mA charge until Battery Pd is 4.1V.
State 3) Hysteresis charging from 3.7V thru 4.1V once the charger remains connected.
State 4) No charge if charger is not connected.

Last edited:
Hi, I did some research at Battery University as I want to develop a PIC (12F675) based charger for a protected mode 10440 AAA 3.6V, 350mA Li ion cell.

Can anyone verify or comment on the accuracy of the following statements for me please?

1) Charging a Li ion to around 4.1V peak is safe but will give around 80% energy with a much greater charge cycle lifespan.
The data we got from Sony on their Li-Ion was that a tolerance of -1% on the final charge voltage (which they wanted to be 4.200V nominal) corresponded to about 30% less charge being delivered compared to the nominal voltage. Ergo, a final charge voltage of about 4.16V meant the cell was only charged to about 70% of full capacity. That's why they demanded a charge controller that would hold final charge voltage to +/-0.5% of 4.200V.

It is absolutely tru that Li-Ion are "constant energy" devices and charging to a lower capacity increases number of recharges. Sanyo spcified 4.15V on theirs to get more charges.

The exact specs for the cells have to come from the battery maker. Don't just take info off the net and build a charger from it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back