Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IV curve of zener diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermaine

let said i have got a zener diode in series with 2 resistors.
What can i observe from the IV curve with resistors and the IV curve without resistors?
Please advise. Thanks.

let said i have got a zener diode in series with 2 resistors.
What can i observe from the IV curve with resistors and the IV curve without resistors?
Please advise. Thanks.

hi shermaine,

You could observe, while applying various voltages across the resistor/zener pair:

The reverse voltage drop across the zener and the effect of connecting resistive loads across the zener.

The current thru the zener
The body temperature of the zener

then plot the results on a graph.

Without a series resistor you will most likely 'observe smoke', dont do it.:)

EDIT: It would be a good idea to get the datasheet for the zeners you are testing.

Last edited:
A low voltage zener diode is a lousy voltage regulator. Its voltage changes a lot when its current changes and its voltage drops as it gets warm.

A high voltage zener diode is also a lousy voltage regulator. Its voltage changes as its current changes and its voltage increases as it gets warm.

A 5.6V to 6.2V zener diode is good. Its VI curve is allmost a vertical line which is good voltage regulation and temperature changes have a very small effect.

Attachments

• zener diode VI curves.PNG
    zener diode VI curves.PNG
    32 KB · Views: 856
You could add a current regulator but by the time that you may as well have used a real voltage regulator like the LM317.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back