Jewel Thief Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does your meter have a transistor tester?

A simple way would be to use the diode checker, hold the + test lead on the base and check that the foward voltage reads about 0.6V to 0.7V when it's hooked up to the emitter and collector.

Failing that you can test a transistor like this.
**broken link removed**
Just make sure the LED you're using works and the battery isn't flat. Don't worry about the switch just use connect the resistor to the collector and disconnect it again, LED LED should turn on and off.

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like you have A2 and B2 swapped. Check to see that you have 1.5 volts on the collector,, and 0.7 volts on the base.

whiz115 said:
what? it doesn't oscillate without capacitor?
The Joule Thief circuit does not have a capacitor.

The base gets noise current which makes the transistor conduct a little. The collector goes low and transformer action makes the base go high which turns on the transitor fully. When the transistor reaches its peak current then the current doesn't change anymore so the transformer feed to the transistor's base drops, which causes the transistor to begin turning off and the transformer gives a negative voltage to the transistor's base which helps turn it off quickly. Then the collector voltage nearly goes twice as high as the supply voltage

audioguru said:
The base gets noise current which makes the transistor conduct a little.

Audioguru, instead of noise current, isn't the 1K base resistor sufficient to bias the transistor to conduct somehow?

The 1K resistor value is vital to circuit operation and value depends on Beta of the transistor used. If one uses other transistors and the circuit does not work, be sure to try other values like 680R, 1K5 or 2K2.

eblc1388 said:
Audioguru, instead of noise current, isn't the 1K base resistor sufficient to bias the transistor to conduct somehow?
Of course the 1k resistor supplies some base current to the transistor and turns it on since it connects to the positive supply.
Next time I will look at the schematic before typing.

what should i expect on my transistor base so i can judge that i need smaller value resistor?

Also... is it so critical not to cross the wire even once! while i'm winding the transformer?

ok.. finally it works!

i solved the problem by reversing the transformer wires... i also made this diagram and i hope it can help everyone who hasn't managed to make it work.

Attachments

• transformer.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 190
I suggested that on my first response to this thread, perhaps you need to read the replies a bit more carefully.

see it works

On a fresh AA Alkaline battery with a white LED, I have gotten mine to run for 5 days STRAIGHT!

Hero999 said:
I suggested that on my first response to this thread, perhaps you need to read the replies a bit more carefully.

yes...sorry, i overlooked you post...

I've noticed it later on when i managed to make it work...
now i think it is going to be clear for everyone!

Krumlink said:
see it works

yeah it works..

Good, I hope it was a fun easy project for you

I have built at least 10 of them. My favorite one I stuffed inside a AA battery holder. It is really neat and compact.

In this picture it is a AA rechargeable, this was when I first put it together. right now it is sitting beside my laptop (brand new ) lighting up my room.

Wizz, do you mind if I put that pic on my website? I think it would look really nice.

CHECK OUT THE NEW PROJECTS ON IT!!!
www.freewebs.com/electronic-hobbyist

Attachments

• 100_1525.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
its magic, there you go it is simple

How it works, is that the transistor makes the coil oscillate, which makes on the other wire a more increased Electromagnetic pickup, induced by electromagnetic waves, called Eddy Currents. Just look up how a transformer works.

Krumlink said:
How it works, is that the transistor makes the coil oscillate, which makes on the other wire a more increased Electromagnetic pickup, induced by electromagnetic waves, called Eddy Currents. Just look up how a transformer works.

i mean step by step details so i can understand it totaly! thanks for you try though! here's mine!

P.S i forgot.... mine also has CE approval, as you can see in the second photo!

Attachments

• 27102007116.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 154
  • 27102007117.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…