Job title, moderately complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

When an employer posts a job description such as, "should be able to design, build, test moderately-complex circuits"

What does moderately-complex entail?

I'm looking for examples, it seems like a broad array of anything pretty much.

Its an entry-level position 2years or less experience

I guess I'm just trying to get a sense what they are expecting

I suppose complexity is relative. If it were me, I'd be asking how complex is their end product, and try to define "moderately" from there. Of course, you could always phone them and ask what kind of complexity they had in mind. Prepare for the call by making a list of things you want to know, or how you intend to phrase the question, and possibly who (or at least, which department) you want to speak to. It doesn't hurt to just apply anyhow. Good luck

The more words used is inversely related to the job's significance. CEO is pretty understood by most people and is only three letters. If I saw some lengthy job "title" like that, I would probe as to what was actually wanted. A lot of job descriptions include something to the effect of, " and other duties as assigned." I call that the warranty clause. That is, you work for us and will do whatever we tell you to do.

John

moderately complex..
That's a dumb you down term..see if your able to do better than what is considered ..they get a more experienced hand for less while claiming you just fit the bill.

Personally .Id just put together a Larsen Scanner and mail it to them..

Great responses! thanks lol

I noticed a lot of entry level job descriptions use intimidating language and almost gray area neutral oxymoron's makes a new graduate nervous about entering the job market at all

As I have seen and personally experienced too many times now is that if their 'moderately complex circuit' comes across to you as a simple one you are now over qualified and wont get hired.

Managers by design tend to not like having subordinates that are or that can easily show themselves to be of a superior skill set regardless of whether you are after their job or not.

BTW the less expected of you at your job the more you will be getting paid. They are expecting a lot from you here so don't expect the pay to be worth old monkey poo. Trust me I have a high school drop out remedial job putting fuel in trains and I can assure you I make more sleeping at work most weeks that I have at many previous jobs where I ran my butt off.

Trust me I have a high school drop out remedial job putting fuel in trains and I can assure you I make more sleeping at work most weeks that I have at many previous jobs where I ran my butt off.

must be difficult on an electric train!!

Certainly "moderately-complex" is an ambiguous term. But if it's an entry-level (2-year) position then I wouldn't think they would expect anything more than standard type op amp, simple digital/microprocessor, or linear power supply design.

I think a "simple" circuit would be something like an IC with a few discretes. Things like the IC datasheet examples.

"Moderately complex" would probably indicate the next step up, where you might need to use two ICs, each doing a different task and working together in one "moderately complex" circuit.

It looks like they are wanting you to have ability to make different things work together, rather than just connect a few resistors to an IC in a "simple" circuit.

around here in deepest Devon when i employ people on the farm and i use moderately complex i am talking about the abillity to use a fax machine and a outside loo not the ditches! so i guess its all reletive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…