Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Junebug + external power source

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

Hi All,

I am pretty certain this has been asked before but I cannot find the post.

The last few of my projects are breadboard based using the Junebug to program and debug, what would happen if I attach an external 5 volts to the breadboard power rails whilst having 5V supplied from the Junebug?

Would I need to detach the 5V line from the Junebug?

Regards

Mark

Nope, you might get some trickle current from your targets 5V supply but it won't hurt the Junebug. The 1N5817 diode on the Junebug is designed to block external DC(the +5V ICD pin) from powering the Junebug.

Just thinking though, wouldnt 5V from the junebug and the 5V provided via the breadboard source equal 10V = (KVL)? or is it 5V parallel?

my electronics theory is very shaky....

UTMonkey said:
Just thinking though, wouldnt 5V from the junebug and the 5V provided via the breadboard source equal 10V = (KVL)? or is it 5V parallel?
my electronics theory is very shaky....

It would be in parallel with the existing 5v source, like Bill said there is a blocking diode to eliminate back feeding to the Junebug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back