Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Junk shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuffock

Years ago there used to be shops where you could buy all manner of manufacturers surplus components, end of production run stuff, and outright old junk. London's Edgware road was particularly good.
The question is, are there any left?

Events called "hamfests" here in the US usually include large areas where individuals can sell whatever it is they have to sell - much of it related to electronics - but plenty of robotics, computer stuff, etc. Not sure if they do the same thing in UK. Some good deals to be had - especially if someone just wants to avoid packing the stuff up and hauling it home. ARRL website has directories of US hamfests. Not sure if RSGB has similar sites.

hi spuffock,
another place you can buy components and equipment are at company clearance auctions. As you are in the UK, contact your local auctioneers, they will send you a catalog.
EricG

Here in Canada there is an electronics surplus chain of stores called "Sayal" which is owned and operated by people from India.

In Australia and New Zealand a surplus chain of stores is called "Dick Smith WW2 Surplus Electronics Parts and Old Car Parts".

In Britain it is "Maplin".

I have seen discontinued parts sold at RadioShack and at Maplin.

RadioShack are gone from Canada. Circuit City from the US is running them as "The Source" stores for home entertainment products, electronic toys and cell phones.
They might have a few old electronics parts they are trying to get rid of.

When I was a kid and living in St. Paul, MN I remember there being several surplus stores with electronic components. One I know closed a long time ago and the other I haven't been to for years, but last time I was there, it was less electronics then when I was a kid. I think being able to go to one of the online superstores and order exactly what we all need has taken a toll on the surplus electronics market. But it sure would be fun to be able to be able to by chace get a good deal on somthing cool, or get the insperation for a project from surplus components.

Andy1845c said:
When I was a kid and living in St. Paul, MN I remember there being several surplus stores with electronic components. One I know closed a long time ago and the other I haven't been to for years....
I hear the AX-Man's is still open in Minneapolis.
In Colorado Springs Colorado there is a surplus place called O.E.M (Optical Electronic Mechanical).

3v0

3v0 said:
I hear the AX-Man's is still open in Minneapolis.
Haha, thats the one I was refering too. I haven't been there in years though.

I'm amazed someone else here knows about that.

Somebody posted a page from Maplin's catalog showing very old and obsolete National Semiconductor opamps. Maybe the catalog was very old.

Surplustronics at the top of Queen Street , Auckland has a wealth of surplus electrical and electronic equipment, new and old parts as well as end of runs from discontinued product runs.
Also a very good place to find older type IC's which you can't get at Jaycars or Dick Smiths.

Sometimes you can strike luck in imporiums too. Somehow they sell mostly household goodies but quite often have boxes full of new electronic parts which you can buy for a bargain. Also good for odd ball bolts and nuts.

Here in Rochester, Ny we're fortunate to have two surplus places - Glenwood Sales and General Surplus Electronics. I mention this for anyone in driving range or who might be passing thru. Glenwood does have a website but it's nice to browse thru.

Radio rally.

Hi everybody,

For those who doesn't have anything better to do on march 17, 2007,
there's the annual radio rally of the Dutch radio amateur society.

http://www.radiovlooienmarkt.nl/

Choose your language on the left hand side of the screen and don't
forget to take a look at the photo gallery.

on1aag.

on1aag said:
For those who doesn't have anything better to do on march 17, 2007,
there's the annual radio rally of the Dutch radio amateur society.
on1aag.

Looks good. Unfortunately I will be a bit busy with work in March, but I plan to be at Friedrichshafen 22/23/24th June.
Have a look here:

Jim GM3ZMA

There's a shop in the uk that Nigel may well know. JPG electronics in chesterfield. . . they seem to sell all kinds of electronics junk, but not always at junk shop prices.

www.jpgelectronics.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back