Junk shops

Status
Not open for further replies.
fingaz said:
There's a shop in the uk that Nigel may well know. JPG electronics in chesterfield. . . they seem to sell all kinds of electronics junk, but not always at junk shop prices.

Funnily enough I've never been there where it is now (Chatsworth Road isn't it?), I did once go years back when they were down Sheffield Road - but they were really naff then, they seem to have improved a lot in recent years.

I used to go to R.F.Potts at Derby sometimes, don't if they are still there or not?.

Junk (in the UK)

Andy1845c said:
Haha, thats the one I was refering too. I haven't been there in years though.

I'm amazed someone else here knows about that.

I''ve been to Ax-Man's (got a nice big series resistor for the starter of my Garrett gas turbine, they were selling them as letter racks!) and I live in the UK.
Most of the surplus stores in the UK have gone into selling cheap c**P from the far east. some still exist, M&B Radio under the railway arches in Leeds, their web-site only shows test equipment but they do sell parts and "junk", Birkett in the Straight Lincoln, Target in Bristol (haven't been there in years), Anchor supplies in the markets Nottingham.
Radio rallies and eBay are your best bets.
I've visited stores all over the UK and many parts of North America and they are not what they used to be!

Robert G8RPI.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I used to go to R.F.Potts at Derby sometimes, don't if they are still there or not?.

Yes, apparently it's still there. I've never been myself, but a friend at work highly recommends Potts.

Does anyone know of any online places similar to the soon to be no more **broken link removed**

They were a good place for small orders. Shipping was only $2.

3v0

The only shop mentioned that I know is Target. Unfortunately, it's no longer worth visiting, having gone the same way as the others. Radio rallies seem to deal in junk, but it's the SAME junk. There's a klystron and power supply that has gone Harwell, Dunstable, Newbury, Frome, Wimborne, for three years now that I,ve seen, and an R1155 that I'm sure I first met at Woburn!
Perhaps there has been a period where junk was not reclaimable, but with the increasing use of flash memory in devices, and the availability of free software from manufacturers, its time may come again.
Harwell's only a couple of weeks. It's only five minutes away on foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…