Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Just built a coffee roaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
I just finished roasting my first one pound batch of coffee beans. It took about 19 minutes (well, their still cooling...). Anyway, it's a pretty simple machine to put together, got most of it from this site:

**broken link removed**

Didn't really follow the instructions, but used the basic concept. The oven top cost me $68 (stuck it to me on shipping, could have gotten the full package for that at a local store). Went with the digital model, figured I might want to add a microcontroller. After doing a pound (good for a week), don't know if I'll bother.

Hit several hardware store, but couldn't find the aluminum material that was used, so had to find something. Ended up buying a three piece set of spring-form cake pans at Big Lots, $6. Had to fit 2 together, and cut part off. Stayed together by itself, so didn't have to drill holes or bolt anything together. Need to cut a small slot in the side to vent the schaff, but it wasn't bad. Think most of it burned up anyway.

I wasn't going to use the popcorn popper base, seemed like it would fail, and need to be re-done. Not knowing much about kitchen stuff, quickly found that 12" pots and pans aren't cheap, or easy to find in the 4" deep range. The popper was $24 at Walmart, so just settled. Opened the bottom to disconnect the heater, just pulled a wire off the thermostat, no wire cutting. Noticed that the shaft coupling was a compsite material, and the end cap plastic (no wonder it melted). Replaced the plastic cap with 3 wide washers and a cap nut. Figured the shaft coupler could handle the heat, and the washers and cap nut would shield it well from direct heat from the convection oven.

Not too bad for around $100, have to see how much coffee this thing can handle in one batch. Think somewhere between 1.5 and 2 pounds.

Last edited:
Smoke Up The House?

I also buy my coffee from Sweet Maria's; but I use the heat gun/dog bowl technique.

Are you running this thing in the house? What about chaff and smoke, assuming you get into second crack?

I do it on the back porch, on my clothes dryer. I buy my coffee from a place in Tampa, better price and closer to home.

Started with the air popper (already had it, never used it), but it only does about a 1/2 cup of beans per batch.

Noticed you're from Oregon. I grew up there, in Sandy (small town on the west side of Mt Hood). Haven't been back in more than 20 years.

Finally tooks some pictures of the roaster and doing a batch of beans. Think I have enough roasted to last a month or so. Just could leave the new toy alone.

Attachments

• Coffee01.jpg
    Coffee01.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Coffee02.jpg
    Coffee02.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 194
Nice HarveyH42,
th color looks good == taste- perhaps i am too far

how abt your led torch project?

That Maglite bulb replacement I bought, wasn't so good. Don't think it's any bright than the regular Maglite bulb. The bad part was the circles. Guessing a maglite would have a better reflector, and the famous focus lens. Threw the bulb in a drawer, will pick up a maglite cheap sometime.

I ended up putting 7 X 10mm, 10,000 mcd leds on some perfboard with 100 ohm resistors each. About the same brightness, but no circle. Good enough for me.

Coffee roaster looks like it turned out nice!

Your dryer looks like it has seen happier days.

The green grass looks GREAT! :p

Andy <---- Just dug out of 20 inches of snow..........

It's the only dryer I've ever owned. It was well used when I got it, just needed a belt. I've replaced that belt a total of three times, and the heater element once. Had it 12 years now, been sitting in the same place, semi-exposed to the weather. Haven't had any trouble with washing machine. New machines don't seem to last very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back