Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

just got some nice pic microcontrolers but don't know how to use them

Status
Not open for further replies.

mashersmasher

hi! i just ordered 2 dsPIC30F4013. problem is i'm so used to the "holds your hand while you pee" BS2 and i have no idea how to use these microcontrollers. all i know is that they seem to outdo a BS2 in almost every way and i'd like to use them for robotics projects. not to mention they cost me 14 on ebay for a pair and i bought a BS2 and BOE board for about $75 off ebay. what kind of software do i need to program them? i use turing which is pretty close to C so i think i can figure that part out alright. i would also like to make my own board for it but i don't know where to find schematics for it

blueroomelectronics said:
It's a very high end PIC and you'll need a programmer like PICkit2 or my Junebug, ICD2 (debug) or Inchworm.

really? i figured it would be pretty average considering the price. i guess this BS2 is going to be put to shame then :p

mashersmasher said:
really? i figured it would be pretty average considering the price. i guess this BS2 is going to be put to shame then :p

Like he said, it's a VERY high end PIC.

BS2 is a fairly low end PIC, but even more crippling is that it runs a BASIC interpreter from EEPROM, so it runs hundreds of times slower than even a low end - it's only the blistering speed of the PIC that makes it useable.

You'll need C30 too, yes the Stamp & dsPIC could not be farther apart. If BASIC is what you're after you should see if you can get your hands on any 18F PICs as there is an excellent BASIC available for them.

thanks. i didn't know these were considered high end. i am comfertable programming in C so that shouldn't be a problem. how much do these go for usually? i only paid 14 for the pair shipped. what program is best to use for them? oh and what is a C30?

perfect thank you all very much! i appreciate the fast help! so are you sure there is no way to build a board though? if not i will have to load up my paypal and wait to fuel my raging need to invent.

You can build a board (programmer?), most simple programmers don't support the dsPICs though. The PICkit2 / Junebug may someday support debug on the dsPIC, they do program it fine.

awesome. my last question is if the pic can be used outside of a board without anything but power. does it need anything else for it to work? i ask because i want to use it in a robotics project and i want the dimensions of the board it will occupy on the robot to match the dimensions of of the base.

awesome. my last question is if the pic can be used outside of a board without anything but power. does it need anything else for it to work? i ask because i want to use it in a robotics project and i want the dimensions of the board it will occupy on the robot to match the dimensions of of the base.
If you're shopping for pics, look for one with an internal oscillator (the pic comparison chart at www.microchip.com indicates this), as using one eliminates the necessity of the components for an external oscillator in your design. The int osc maximum speed is usually a little slower (e.g. 8MHz vs. 20MHz) than the maximum speed that can be obtained from an external oscillator, but for ease of design and most applications, it's still plenty enough. Also, using the int osc you'll need to connect the MCLR pin to V+ with a resistor, but other than that, all you'll need (in most cases) is to connect a pin to ground, a pin to V+, and whatever other pins you otherwise wish for functionality of your circuit (i.e. I/O pins).

mashersmasher said:
The 30F4013 has onboard oscillator, so the connections you need to the chip to make it work are your ICSP connections (MCLR, PGD, PGC), an MCLR pullup resistor, four 5V and four ground connections and whatever control lines you need wired to what you're controlling or sensing.

If you need to use a crystal oscillator for some reason (precision) then you have to make room for the crystal and two capacitors on the board. The onboard oscillator is good enough for most things though.

The internal oscillator on the 4013 has PLL controls to multiply it right up to the max rated clock speed for the chip, which is 120MHz. Actually the multiplier works out so it only gets to 118MHz, 2MHz shy of max rated speed. Close enough. It's quick! :D

Last edited:
mashersmasher said:
thanks yalls. i found this. can that program it? i could probably build that out of leftovers
You'll have nothing but trouble with that stupid thing. Some computers don't have parallel ports anymore. And it doesn't do ICSP! Useless!

EDIT: Oh, I see it does do ICSP.

Just get yourself a **broken link removed**. Excellent and inexpensive.

Last edited:
They ARRIVED! i am so happy. it's like 2 new friends just arrived. i admit that my desire for a homebrew programmer is based on my own poorness :( got to love having to pay for collage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back