Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

keyless/buttonless door

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasdawg

Gday from Australia....

I have a concept for a nobless door on a car...The handle is gone...
leaving a keyless door with no handles....

Ok i want to go about this easy enought with rf transmitters and recivers...

I have a shematic of what i want, but i am only basic at electronics....

I want the door to pop open with a motor when i walk within 2 meters of the car/or swipe a rf key on the door where the lock used to be.

this is it keyless entry and a pop open door...

is it posible? i want to make the whole thing my self and learn along the way..

this is for a project/show car, it is for looks but i still have to open the doors...

The inside of the car will still have an attachment to open the door from the inside... for safty resons and a pike stick to shatter the window in the even of emergancy....

I dont know where to start looking for papers on the rf control or how to control the motors with rf...
i was reading up on this https://jap.hu/electronic/codec.html can someone help out? and point me in the right directions. or have a paper on how to do it already?

Thank you for your time in reading this... TasDawg

Attachments

• keyless-lock-sheme.JPG
    keyless-lock-sheme.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 183
Wellll... My solution isn't a complete DIY...
Having said that, you could purchase an RFID kit from Altronics
https://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=K9300
A solenoid to unlatch the door lock - from jaycar
**broken link removed**
Followed by a door opener (found by 'googling')
https://www.privatedoor.com/

From the RFID kit, you would need to send the output signal to a circuit which will which will power the door solenoid for 1-2s while the door opener gets going then you can remove power from the solenoid. Then via a push button on the dash the door would close?

Any other suggestions anyone?

Edit: If you want to UNlock the door as well, you'll need one of these too
**broken link removed**

other safety aspect why you should be able to open the door from outside is that if you have a crash and you are out of consues or stuk in a position that you can't move or having a broken arm which you want to use to smash the window sombody else could be able to open up the door

food for thought

Robert-Jan

i have the same thing(no door handles)and there is an easy an cheap way to do this, you can buy a normal central locking kit for $50 or less(AU) and instead of hooking it up to the door lock you can move it to the door handle connection where the door handle used to be :D

There is inuf touque in the motors to do the job!!!

downside is that you can only hook it up to one door, unless you want them all to open at the same time.

shaneshane1 said:
i have the same thing(no door handles)and there is an easy an cheap way to do this, you can buy a normal central locking kit for $50 or less(AU) and instead of hooking it up to the door lock you can move it to the door handle connection where the door handle used to be :D

There is inuf touque in the motors to do the job!!!

downside is that you can only hook it up to one door, unless you want them all to open at the same time.

That'll pop the latch, but then you still need another servo/actuator to actually swing the door open and shut it again.

Torben

Torben said:
That'll pop the latch, but then you still need another servo/actuator to actually swing the door open and shut it again.

Torben

well the one i have set up is just a normal central locking kit, once i press the button i have about 1second to open the door before it de-activates and leaves the door half unlocked/locked, once opened the door can just be shut like a normal car door.

shaneshane1 said:
well the one i have set up is just a normal central locking kit, once i press the button i have about 1second to open the door before it de-activates and leaves the door half unlocked/locked, once opened the door can just be shut like a normal car door.

Right, that's what I meant.

I had been under the impression that the OP wanted the doors to actually swing open on their own, not just pop the latches. When I re-read his post I find that he didn't actually say that, though.

My bad.

Torben

OP says "I want the door to pop open with a motor"

So yes, he does want the door to open not just the latch.

erosennin said:
OP says "I want the door to pop open with a motor"

So yes, he does want the door to open not just the latch.

Well, that's how I read it originally--especially in the context of a one-off prototype/demo car. But even just to pop open the latch, you'd need a motor, so I can read it the other way, too.

Oh well. My first thought before I remembered that it was just a prototype was "what if your neighbour's two-year-old is sitting beside the car when you walk up? *whack*".

Torben

One solenoid I suggested is to unlock the door, and the other one is to unlatch the little lip from the U bolt in order to open the door. Both products have the power to do this, as that is what they are being sold for. So you don't need a 'motor' as such...

Hmmm, that's when you install ultrasonic sensors in the side of the door to detect any obstacles. *rolls eyes* - This is getting more complicated.
.. don't worry it always happens.

erosennin said:
One solenoid I suggested is to unlock the door, and the other one is to unlatch the little lip from the U bolt in order to open the door. Both products have the power to do this, as that is what they are being sold for. So you don't need a 'motor' as such...

True, although I tend to think of the word "motor" as meaning "anything which converts energy into motion". But that's probably a bit broad for normal conversation, I agree. :)

Hmmm, that's when you install ultrasonic sensors in the side of the door to detect any obstacles. *rolls eyes* - This is getting more complicated.
.. don't worry it always happens.

Hehe. Projects do seem to balloon that way.

Torben

UTMonkey said:
Whats stopping the door from opening when you are sat in it, driving?

That is a very good question. What about a weight sensor in the seat? Or even better: a seat belt sensor. If you don't put on your seat belt, the door won't close. Or: put on your seat belt, and the door closes automatically, disabling the RFID sensor until you undo the seat belt, when it could either open the door automatically, or maybe wait for you to get out, close the door, and walk away before re-activating the "check for RFID to open the door" system.

Or something.

Torben

I think cars post 1995 had inbuilt seat belt sensors, so rather than my idea of an onboard dash button, when you put it your seatbelt, it closes. Excellent idea UTMonkey.... AAAnd you can use it as protection.

I wouldn't want the doors to swing open on their own, especially whenever I was within 2 meters and my seatbelt wasn't on. Not so bad when driving, but what about when you're in a crowded parking lot, does it swing straight into the car next to you? What if it's raining and you're trying to throw some stuff in your trunk before hopping into the car? Maybe if the range was lower than 2m it would seem better to me.

Also, 2m is a very long range for a transmitter sitting inside a metal box to energize a passive tag.

I think this is a wonderful project, but I don't think it would be practical in real application.

But don't let that stop you!;)

I would just like to say THANK YOU! eeryone for your input and feed back :)
i would like to use everyones name that has commented in this post for
thanks in the help and creation of this idea at the auto salon.
Pleasesay so if you would not like this.

It will be used in the real world as well - i have had time to think a project managment of safty(outside assistance) - risk(hitting someone, the shopping mall), the 2 meter range, pop-open and so on... here are the assesments.

safty - the RFID Entry Tag will be connected to the airbag sensor circuits.
- for the added safty the glass on the drivers side will be safty shatter glass with rubber seal(easy to break into(alarm and security is not a problem the car is fitted with motion detection), this will alow for in a crash the window to break off, the door to pop open(not swing).

risk - the RFID Entry Tag will be connected to a pop open - thius meaning sorry but i want the door to pop into the U bolt, the ubolt will be modifyed by safty regulations to lock and unlock with a twisted rod instead of a latch rod(diagram added), having this said the risk of having a 2 year old or a car being hit by the open door, is not posible beacuse the cars door will not move any more distance then the ubolt(your thinking its still the same as using the door handle, but say you have a hand full and cannot put it down(money bag with $50,000) your not about to sit it on your roof, the gapfrom the door will be about 4 inch's and still connected to the ubolt turn rod).

the RFID Entry Tag will not be set at a 2 meter range, it will be set at 30 - 40 centermeters

Thank you so much too everyone :) - you can over look my concept to inprove the design - i will credit your names at the car show, this is going on all four doors(different channels, so if u walk past the back door to the front the back door will open but once you are at the front door and open it, i want the back door to close. i also want this for the bonnet of my car, i would like ot have 3 RFID Entry Tag keys on my keychain(added security - bonnet/boot, front doors/back doors) altho this will be going on a GTR Skyline i do not see the point for back doors lol.....

And i have been looking at butterfly doors, and adding this concept toward this, for added security, risk assesment....

Please keep the sugestions coming, i am off to buy the parts left in the first post by erosennin - i live in qld maybe a trip to auto salon this year to see ur handy work erosennin?? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back