Kindle for PDFs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

upand_at_them

Is anyone using a Kindle for reading technical PDFs? Specifically, I'm curious about whether the larger DX is necessary, because of the larger screen and how well it works.

Someone gave me a Kindle about a year ago and I found that it can read PDFs OK -- however, there's a fundamental flaw that I believe Amazon deliberately put into the tool: the links in the PDF are not clickable (when, for example, they are on a PC). I suspect this feature was crippled deliberately to reduce the attractiveness of PDF for content delivery, as that would allow other people to sell content and reduce Amazon's revenue. Of course, I have no proof of this, but since I generate and use technical PDFs constantly, it was just about the most important feature I wanted in the Kindle, as I have hundreds of PDF documents with links. Navigating them with the Kindle is very painful to the point of making reference documents nearly unusable. Because of this, if the Kindle had not been given to me, I wouldn't purchase one for myself.

It could be because of the fact that a Kindle cannot pull up more than one Web page at a time ... can't "overlay" them like a traditional browser does.

We have both, The small one is useless for pdfs, the DX is reasonable. Part of the issue is the way you must "zoom" on a PDF, you just don't see enough on the small one.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…