Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Know anything about solder iron systems and parts? 60w is toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

Have a 60w iron I got some time ago. Seemed to work well but heat element burned out after probably only 5hrs use and have not touched it since. I sort of need that thing! I took the handle apart and verified the element is OL but what puzzles me is when I test voltage, I see 36VDC to the handle. The handle indicates 24V. I am wondering if this is common to get the tip to temp quicker with a digital solder iron? Guess I have never tested this.

However, I guess this could explain the quick failure.

Kinda frustrated because my iron is a 4 pin connector and all I can find is 5 pin. Suppose I could rewire one but don't really want to. I would be happy paying a few bucks for the element and solder it in but need to know more about this higher voltage thing first.

UPDATE: decided to just test this and heated the solder iron tip with a torch. It seems the digital supply is variable and rolls off smoothly and rolls back in as needed. I watched it turn off, then at about 3-5C under set temp, it was about 5V, then slowly increased to a max of 36V.

So is that going to shorten the hell out of the life of the heat element? I know the handle is thermally controlled but I am sure the coil wires get way hot before the thermocouple seems it and rolls back the power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back