Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

L-Ion Charing Question -:Slightly Urgent:-

Status
Not open for further replies.

iso9001

Hi,

I've got a FlashTrax (Smartdisk.com, its basically a laptop hdd with a screen). And I lost my AC Adapter (which is my means of charging it) :(

Now, it uses a L-ion 2300mAh battery, and it can charge via a car adapter, its AC adapter, or even the USB port (they dont advertise the USB cause its SLOW)

Now the problem, they want $40 for an AC adapter! They say its "5V and 3amp, center pin positive". Can I use a 5V - 2200mAh Ac Adapter to charge this thing?

Is it going to fully charge and just take longer then their 3amp adapter or will is just never fully charge ? I can get a 2200mAh multivoltage charger at walmart for like $12 and then also run my camera and other stuff off of it.

Anyone know if this will work ?

It might work perfectly depending on the internal resistance of the battery. Noting ohms law, if the battery consumes more current than 2.2A then you will start to see a voltage drop in the charger. this way the battery will never charge to the maximum.

but again this all depends on the internal resistance of the battery.

If You use this AC adapter only for charging ( no using the device until charge time), 2200mA quite enough for full charging. LI-Ion batteryes most of case have in-built electronic management for charge-discharge management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back