Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laptops "O" and "P" buttons not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkshima

last night the o and p buttons of my laptops keypad stopped working. all of a sudden. I made a search for "arduino" that was the last time i typed an o.

Its a dell inspiron 640m and out of warranty and other covers.
I hate to see a mechanic do force fitting the screws etc.
Not sure if I should open the lappy myself.

Man, you shouldn't have to open it. Just take a small screw driver and pop the key coved off. Look the switch over carefully, maybe take a little alcohol and drop it in there and work the switch while watching the screen. Then gently work the cap back on. Try not ot break it.

I've experienced even weirder, 2 or 3 buttons could not work for small letter but okay for capital. Then I restarted the notebook and everything went back to normal.

If that doesn't work, and you have to replace the keyboard, they are not hard to get apart. I've replaced several power jacks on laptops, and always got them back together OK. Keyboards are one of the first parts to come out, so shouldn't take much. Although the cleaning is the best option to try first, as Space V said..

A foreign object under the keys is a common thing too
Jim

Last edited:
Man, you shouldn't have to open it. Just take a small screw driver and pop the key coved off. Look the switch over carefully, maybe take a little alcohol and drop it in there and work the switch while watching the screen. Then gently work the cap back on. Try not ot break it.

You mean I need not take the whole keyboard out and that I can just pop the problem keys out, clean, and put back in ? wow that would be great. Guess i will go and search some relevant videos on youtube. that might help. Thanks for the adives :) Please keep more coming :)

You mean I need not take the whole keyboard out and that I can just pop the problem keys out, clean, and put back in ? wow that would be great. Guess i will go and search some relevant videos on youtube. that might help. Thanks for the adives :) Please keep more coming :)

That's what I've always done. So far it always worked for me.

Dell has online service documentation, with step by step instructions and photos. Removing the keyboard on the 640M is covered in detail here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back