Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

laser selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssylee

I am thinking of using a laser and a laser receptor to determine if an object has blocked the light at a particular point. It has to be low power and battery-powered. Does anyone have any website or catalog to suggest as a start?

ssylee said:
I am thinking of using a laser and a laser receptor to determine if an object has blocked the light at a particular point. It has to be low power and battery-powered. Does anyone have any website or catalog to suggest as a start?

hi,
Over what distance do you want to have TX and RX?
Indoors or outdoors?
Visible or Infra red laser?
Size of object?

Not being picky, Like to help, but require more background information.

ericgibbs said:
hi,
Over what distance do you want to have TX and RX?
Indoors or outdoors?
Visible or Infra red laser?
Size of object?

Not being picky, Like to help, but require more background information.

I'm using it in a barn, so I guess it's a mix of indoors and outdoors? What's the difference between visible and infrared laser if I just want to see if the laser reception gets intercepted?

hi,
I'm using it in a barn, so I guess it's a mix of indoors and outdoors? What's the difference between visible and infrared laser if I just want to see if the laser reception gets intercepted?

If visible is acceptable, then you could use a low cost laser 'pointer' device.
If ambient light was going to a problem, you could use a 38KHz infra red system.

What objects and over what distance to you want to detect a 'blocking' object and what action do want the detecting electronics to take?

i would think you would have to use a regulated or pulses laser system or regular light would interfere with the results. also what sort of distance range do you want? if all you want is a system to indicate if something has interupted the beam, there has been lots of post on this forum related to a circuit like this.

Last edited:
What you have described is something I installed for my brother in his shop and it was sold by Radio Shack as part of an alarm system. The unit sends what I presume is infra-red to a reflector and anything that gets between the unit and reflector closes a contact. Sorry I don't have part number - hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back