Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfussell

Hi All,
I am looking for a circuit that would allow a laser to close a switch. Laser would be just inches from said switch. When beam from Laser is not present the switch opens and sends a wireless signal.
Can someone help with this design?
David

Is there any other ambient light around? If not it expands your options, such as a LDR (electric eye, aka photocell).

Are you familiar with a photocell? They can be had many places, including Radio Shack. Basically they vary their resistance from a couple of ohms when exposed to light to a couple of megohms when in the dark. Add a variable resistor (pot) in series and they can be used to sense light, the output is a voltage swing. From there you can use a digital IC, 555, or a transistor to switch.

**broken link removed**

CdS Photoresistors (5-Pack) - RadioShack.com

Here is a possible schematic of how to use them, you can swap R2 and CDS1 to switch the voltage swing...

csd-sensor-gif.36733

Attachments

• CSD sensor.GIF
    CSD sensor.GIF
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,109
dfussell what's the output of your laser? CDS photocells have a responce from roughly 515-730nm's

David Cook at RobotRoom.com already wrote up a great system, he used 2 LDRs and a comparator, so when you shine the laser at one LDR it is detected.

This is pure genius because it removes any issues of ambient light level AND it also gives you 2 sensors so it can be used for on/off or up/down remote control etc.

See here;
Robot Room: Laser Pointer Remote Control Circuit

I guess I wasn't specific enough, I wasn't talking about power, I was wondering what it's wavelength is, IE what colour is it? I don't think CDS photocells will pick up an IR laser, but I'm not sure. They're very close in spectral responce to the human eye, though I think there is a bit more towards the high end.

Good point, I assumed we were talking a visible laser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back