last minute changes in commercial electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veraxis

Hello all,
Whenever electronics break, or are destined to be thrown away, I will often take them apart and salvage components from the circuit boards, as I am sure some of you on this forum often do. While doing this, however, I have occasionally come across electronics that appear to have had changes made to their design after the manufacture of the PCBs. perhaps this is not all that uncommon, but it has always been something that I found suprising. For example: one of the first times that I saw this was in an old car radio, where the following part had been added:
**broken link removed**
The resistor was connected from part of a tuning circuit for the radio to a piece of metal casing, possibly even soldered in by hand, then covered over with epoxy.

It seemed odd to me that a commercially sold product from a brand-name electronics manufacturer would have a part added in that was not built into the circuit board, but I did not think too much of it until some time later, when I saw something similar in a small treble/base control board in a portable cassette player:
**broken link removed**

This time, there were holes marked of the other side of the board for where the resistors had originally been supposed to go, but it seems that they had been brought to the other side of the board and connected to different places.

One of the most interesting changes that I have seen, however, was this last one, from a portable transistor radio:
**broken link removed**

Whether due to an error in the manufacture of the PCB, or some sort of design error not noticed until the last minute, one of the inductors and one of the capacitors had been switched around, then glued together, and with another capacitor removed entirely, as is still marked on the silkscreen just to the right of the switched components.

My question to all of you is, why were these changes made in this way rather than sending back the circuit boards, and is this sort of thing common? how unusual is it for electronics manufacturers to have to make last minute design improvements, or to have weird workarounds for errors in the PCBs?

I've come across similar 'fixes'. I think it's pretty common and results from the rush to get things to market before they've been fully tested. Probably cheaper/quicker for the assembler to do that, rather than re-design pcbs and get them made.

Usually there is a rush to get a new layout as adding components by hand is expensive, but cheaper than stopping shipment until a new board is available and trashing already produced finished boards and raw PCBAs.

interesting... It makes perfect sense that it would be cheaper to do this, but it must be a real pain to manually solder those parts into every unit.

Usually there is a rush to get a new layout as adding components by hand is expensive, but cheaper than stopping shipment until a new board is available and trashing already produced finished boards and raw PCBAs.

The Japanese generally continued bodging bits on the board through all production, they never seemed to bother doing it properly and redesigning the board.

I showed various UK designed sets to 'high ups' from various Japanese companies whilst they were on visits in the UK, and compared them to their current sets.

The UK designs (particularly Tatung - who used to be Decca) used a single PCB, had hardy any wires, and just a few plug and socket connections to the board. In contrrast, the Japanese sets had multiple boards, wires badly routed everywhere, components bodged all over the back the boards, absolute nightmares to work on.

I don't know if it eventually sunk in?, but Japanses sets did get better designd in the end.

Incidently, Mitsubishi were probably the worst, they looked to be 10-15 years behind UK sets, their design and manufcaturing was appalling - not that they weren't reliable (because they were), but they looked like something you made in a shed at home, and not something out of a factory. Not surprising they pulled out of the UK, the sets must have cost a fortune to manufacture.

The resistor was connected from part of a tuning circuit for the radio to a piece of metal casing, possibly even soldered in by hand, then covered over with epoxy.
Probably done after testing found the tuner slightly out of spec.
This time, there were holes marked of the other side of the board for where the resistors had originally been supposed to go, but it seems that they had been brought to the other side of the board and connected to different places.
Thay added the resistors after wavesoldering because thay ran out and had to order more. It was easyer to stick them on the back than clean the solder out of the holes.
That was done to tune the circuit and then glued so thay would not move and detune the circuit.

There could be many reasons why. Part changes as in cant get old part any more must make new part work. Regulatory changes. Feed back from the 1st 1000 units demanding a change. Repairs done in manufactering. And many more we may never know about.
Andy

Last edited:
Maybe I misunderstand but.....
Not sure what the confusion is. Happens all the time for the last several decades. A product is built.....then improved....maybe with just one componenet.....maybe with just a jumper. Until the Revision PCB's are manufactured, the assemblers simply make the change. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water.
Best

Well said clel; if you have a bunch of white roses, when you wanted red; you don't burn them and wait for next season, you paint them red!

Well said clel; if you have a bunch of white roses, when you wanted red; you don't burn them and wait for next season, you paint them red!

The point is though that the Japanese commonly NEVER updated their PCB's, but simply continued bodging all production.

Sometimes the modifications were quite extensive, and must have cost a fortune to do.

It's not just the Japanese, I've seen PCBs from pretty much every manufacturer with a wire jumper here, a resistor tacked on there, etc. It's just a normal part of manufacturing that between the initial PCB design and the bulk quantity of the products rolling off the production line someone may have added a small fix or a "tweak" to the design.

But I agree some manufacturers seemed terrible for it!

No confusion , I was just asking to see if this was something that is commonly done. Apparently it is. I suppose that it had just struck me as odd that manufacturers would go to the trouble of manually soldering parts into what seems like hundreds or perhaps even thousands of units.

It's not just the Japanese, I've seen PCBs from pretty much every manufacturer with a wire jumper here, a resistor tacked on there, etc.

I agree that it is probably not just Japanese electronics. Actually, only one of the three examples in my original post had been made by a Japanese manufacturer. Perhaps some companies are worse than others, but, from what little I have seen, it seems that it is not just the Japanese ones.

No, it wasn't just the Japanese, but they were by far the greatest offenders, and while other countries usually updated the design to remove the bodges the Japanese usually just continued throughout the entire production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…