Layout program : anything free to recommend

Status
Not open for further replies.

winterhunter

Hi,

I'm currently building an IR-decoder (38 kHz) that retransmits the info over a RS-232 connection.
This is my first project that actually uses such a large number of "pins" (40 for the PIC microcontroller plus sixteen for the max232 plus display plus the crystal, capacitors, resistors, etc.)

Currently I have the thing running on a solderless breadboard and would like to transfer the whole to one of these prefabricated PCBs (the ones with the horizontal stripes - BTW, what is the correct name in English for those things?).

I would like to "optimize" the layout before starting to solder (like trying new positions for components). Is there any free PCB layout program out there that can simplify my task?

For this project to use a layout program is almost a case of overkill, but I'd rather start early since for my next project I will certainly need it (and why not, I'm thinking about buying one of those "budget" kit with everything you need to create your own PCBs).

Some suggestions?

Thanks!

Regards,

Gonzalo

I believe you're talking about "stripboard", also known as "Veroboard".

See more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripboard

You don't mention your operating system, so I'm gonna guess Windows of some flavour.

One idea: **broken link removed**

Actual layout software, which I have never even downloaded (much less used--so YMMV): http://www.heyrick.co.uk/software/verodes/index.html

This one I also have not used, but several posts online indicate that it's quite wonderful: **broken link removed**

Thanks!

Regards,

Gonzalo

Hope this helps get you started!

Torben

Last edited:

I like Express PCB for making my own PCB's. It is free.
If you do a little searching, you will find lots of information on the subject and I would certainly not waste may money on any type of kit.

Rolf said:
I like Express PCB for making my own PCB's. It is free.
If you do a little searching, you will find lots of information on the subject and I would certainly not waste may money on any type of kit.

True. I've heard good things about ExpressPCB but haven't tried it. For making my own PCBs I use Eagle Light on Windows and Linux, and after getting used to the interface it's serving my (rather modest) demands well. I've never used a layout program for stripboard.

You can get the free version of Eagle from http://www.cadsoft.de . You are limited to 10cm x 8cm PCB size in the free version, though.

As far at the PCB kit goes, my limited experience agrees with Rolf. Skip it and save money. I don't even bother buying the Press-n-Peel iron-on transfer paper anymore; using glossy photo paper actually gives me better results and I don't have to worry about overheating it so much. And it doesn't cost $4 a sheet.

Google for 'diy pcb' or similar and you'll get full instructions.

Torben

winterhunter said:
Hi,
I would like to "optimize" the layout before starting to solder (like trying new positions for components). Is there any free PCB layout program out there that can simplify my task?

Not exactly free, but cheap enough to make it worth buying :

Thanks a lot for your ideas!!

I will try some of these software!

As for the PCB kit I was refering to, what I meant was mostly to buy the UV-lamp kit, the etching product and some kind of plastic basin for the etching process (plus some pre-sensitivized boards).

Regards,

Gonzalo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…