Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD backlight causing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMikey83

I have a large 20x2 LCD display from one of the cash registers at work. It has an LED backlight but when I turn on my circuit with the backlight plugged in, it gives me some strange values on my sensor outputs. I have Gyro and a radio control input and when the backlight is connected, the values are not stable. When I disconnect the backlight, all is normal.
Do I need to isolate the backlight somehow? What would cause this to happen?
~Mike

You're right Nigel. With the backlight off, it draws 4.4mA but when connected, the entire circuit draws 547mA. The wall adapter is only rated for 200mA.

MrMikey83 said:
You're right Nigel. With the backlight off, it draws 4.4mA but when connected, the entire circuit draws 547mA. The wall adapter is only rated for 200mA.

That seems particularly excessive!.

Perhaps you should feed the backlight via the usual series resistor?, I strongly suspect you're not doing so!.

You're right Nigel. For some reason, I was thinking that the display might have had a built in resistor but I guess not. I tried a 100Ohm and the backlight was very dim. 10 Ohm takes it to about half brightness and the backlight itself is drawing .1Amp. Does this sound right? What size resistor would you suggest?

MrMikey83 said:
You're right Nigel. For some reason, I was thinking that the display might have had a built in resistor but I guess not. I tried a 100Ohm and the backlight was very dim. 10 ohm takes it to about half brightness and the backlight itself is drawing .1Amp. Does this sound right? What size resistor would you suggest?

I would suggest you increase the resistor value until it's just bright enough, that way will minimise current consumption - without having the spec on the display it's hard to know what it might be capable off.

You might try looking up specs on backlights in other LCD displays, that would give you some idea of their capabilities.

There is no spec sheet that I can find for this particular LCD display. I did look up a similar one and it consumes 130mA for its LED backlight. So, I played with resistor values till I got a bright enough display and measured the current at 130mA. I used two 10 Ohm's in parallel (5 Ohms).
~Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back