LCD backlight control during PIC "sleep"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy_123

Need some advice:

I am using 3.3V PIC with 5V LCD.
Currently backlight is powered by 5V PS via 100 Ohm resistor (~10mA).
LCD backlight forward voltage ~4V
I need to turn backlight off when PIC goes to sleep mode.
What would be easiest and cheap way to control?
PIC output is 3.3V that I can turn off before PIC goes to "sleep".
I tried few differnt ways with transistors, but like none of them.

Any ideas?

If you can switch the negative side of the backlight, a simple logic level MOSFET may do the trick. Something like a BSS138LT1 or BS108 have a low RDSon of 10hm: for a gate voltage of around 3V.

Control negative side - geat idea! I did not even think about this and connected K pin to GND
I am sure I can control it.

I probably can control negative side directly from PIC (25mA pin capacity while I need ony 10mA)
PIC out =0V - full brigtness
PIC put =3.3V - it will be only 0.7V drop and LCD will be off.

Thanks

Any other ideas?

If you set the pin to input before the sleep command then you will use even less power. If you use a mosfet then make sure to include a tiedown resistor on the gate.

Mike.

I don't really think that I need a mosfet at all,
- setting pin as output with "0" state will turn LCD on,
- setting pin as input will turn it off, just need to select pin that can handle 5V.

Andy_123 said:
I don't really think that I need a mosfet at all,
I don't really think I suggested that you did.
- setting pin as output with "0" state will turn LCD on,
- setting pin as input will turn it off, just need to select pin that can handle 5V.
No, you need a pin that can handle 0V.

Mike.

Well, not really. Remember that the IO pin on your PIC has built in diodes to VDD and VSS so the voltage at the pin will be clamped at 4V ( 3.3V + 0.7V ). It may still be OK due to the voltage drop of the LED in the backlight but you'll have to experiment to be sure:

Attachments

• IO.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 250
According to the datasheet pins that have no analog inputs can tolerate up to 5.5V

Attachments

• pic_in1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Ah, I see from your other posts that you are using the 18F66J60 which operates from a 3.3V supply and has some 5V tolerant IO pins. If so, then your idea looks like it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…