Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD cusor seems backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGCB

I'v just built a new LCD circuit and loaded a test program to check out the basics. What is supposed to happen is the leftmost character should have the cursor blinking and all blanks. But what I get is the leftmost cursor ON steady and all 5x7 dots above it blinking, all other positions blank. I know the program is good because I've used it before and it's pasted from the same file as before. I have carefully examined all the circuit conections and can't see anything wrong. It is wired as 8 bit (portb of 16F84a).
Anybody give me a clue as to what to look for?
Thanks Aaron

I think some LCD screens do blink the whole box for the cursor. Does it work fine otherwise? Can you write to it okay?

I'd say it's working fine.

Try sending some different commands to the "Display on/off" control register. They usually work like this:
00001110 - Display on, cursor on, no blink
00001111 - Display on, cursor on, blink
00001100 - Display on, cursor off, no blink
00001000 - Display off, cursor off, no blink

Last edited:
Yes, the whole box blinks and it doesn't look like I can change it. And yes "duffy" I did try some different commands and they do work. Also the code I downloaded was for a 2 line display and I have a single line so once I changed 0x38 to 30 and 0x28 to 20, everything seems to be OK.
Thanks for the replies. Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back